More
10 years 2 months ago #139035 by bigcam
I don, t understand
it, s just the vin?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #139036 by werkhorse
Just a standard Ford VIN like Cam said

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
10 years 2 months ago #139037 by wreckerpat
Seems that old mate is hoping the VIN will give the original specs for the truck perhaps... :-/I very much doubt that even Ford would still have any records that would help.

More
10 years 2 months ago #139038 by oldfulla
The Ford Vin Numbers can be decoded - but only really relates to where it was built, and may be a month & year - but it contains nothing about the spec of the vehicle.

Oldfulla

More
10 years 2 months ago #139039 by bigcam
What you need is the SIDO number. Single item dealer order number. Then you need to find someone who knows the codes which would be hard I'd guess.

More
10 years 2 months ago #139040 by jeffo
Unless Ford have a system similar to Nissan's Fast where you enter the VIN and it gives the full spec for that build, right down to the PIN for the CD/radio etc.

More
10 years 2 months ago #139041 by asw120
It used to work with Jeeps. I decoded the VIN on my old Brisbane assembled Cherokee years ago. Fords, I can't help, sorry.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
10 years 2 months ago #139042 by oldfulla
The only real/acutrate way to confirm the specs of a Ford Looslybuilt was/is by a data sheet (it had a name) which was issued with each truck built. The Dealer usuallly retained a copy and the new owner was given a copy (sometimes pasted into the glove box).

That data sheet contains every component used in the build of that (each) truck. This idea took care of the likes of 'running changes' within a model run, and or where parts were opitional.

Most of the early basic trucks had the same running gear - like the 700/7000's & 8000's series. The 9000's were offered with some gearbox, suspension and diff options. And to complicate things - FORD didnt follow/use the common diff, gearbox or suspension brand names. EG: was no good going to a Ford Dearler spare parts counter and asking for parts for your Eaton fuller RT915 transmission - because they called it something totally uique to themselves.

Hence the need to quote from your Data Sheet - using the Ford language.

Oldfulla

More
10 years 2 months ago #139043 by Beaver
The original "data Sheets" or whatever you wish to call them would have been compiled at the factory of manufacture/assembly.

Some companies have kept them for decades, even from the days of hand written records.

As for VINs, there are a few sites like this one that explain how to decode them:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds