Skip to main content

Decipher this for me please?

More
10 years 2 months ago #139044 by MrBferret
Hi and thanks for the replies. What I'm trying to figure out is what the AL6 means. I can't find any info that makes sense. The truck has ford Australia I.D plates on it but shouldn't the vin start with 6Fxxxxx or something similar?
SIDO code is 557895

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #139045 by oldfulla

Hi and thanks for the replies. What I'm trying to figure out is what the AL6 means. I can't find any info that makes sense. The truck has ford Australia I.D plates on it but shouldn't the vin start with 6Fxxxxx or something similar?
SIDO code is 557895

Why do you think the Vin should start with 6F----?

I'm sure all Aust Fords started with 2 letters - but stand corrected.

I'm guessing the A is for Australia and the next letter wil represent the actual plant it was built in. At the time your truck was built - Ford had 3 'plants' working - but only 1 for trucks - at any one time. IE: at one time the truck plant was in Brisbane - then moved to Melbourne.

However, I can assure you - the Vin will not lead you to learning much about the vehicle.

Neither will the Sido number.

There should be a 'MODEL No' - probably a 5 digit (I think) on the ID plate. That can be decoded - and will confirm a bit about the vehicles make up.

The Ford Vins & Model No's are all constructed in a standard format - from cars thru to trucks. The SIDO is simply a unique number - issued at the begining of each build - and used to ID the vehicle - and carrys on as the Dealers Order No. IE: if a Dealer orders a special build - then a SIDO will be created. If a vehicle is being buit for stock - it will be issued a SIDO - and then when a dealer says they want that particualr stock vehicle - the SIDO becomes his 'order number'.

I'm sure if you searched the web for Fords sites - you will find an explanation for each line on the ID plate - and how to decode each one.

However - I can assure you - the 'Data Sheet' prev mentioned - is the ONLY way to fully tell you the spec of the truck.

I hope that helps a little more?

Oldfulla

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #139046 by wreckerpat
oldfulla, you're right there about Ford chassis numbers starting with two letters, well up untill around 1987 anyway. Most Aussie-built passenger vehicles,(Falcons etc) began with either JG (Broadmeadows Melb) or JH (Brisbane assembled). I've seen Clevo blocks in F-100's etc with the AL prefix, so thats obviously an Aust Commercial vehicle code...
All these early vehicles had, from memory, a 12 digit chassis or VIN number.
From around 1987 onwards the relevant authourities required vehicles to be produced with a 17-digit VIN so any Falcon etc from this point onwards (ie EA's etc) have a long vin beginning with 6FPAAA.... the rest of the numbers pretty much stayed similar, except they dropped off a final letter at the end which was a taxable capacity reference or some such... A "C" denoted 6 cyls, a "K" denoted V-8's.
Pretty sure the later trucks use much the same system, with the 6FP prefix.

Hope this clears up the OP's confusion regarding the VIN prefix, not added to it... :-/

cheers Pat
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by wreckerpat.

10 years 2 months ago #139047 by
Replied by on topic Re: Decipher this for me please?
MrBferret,
Here is a run down on your vin for your Louisville.
A North America
L Broadmeadows [secondary Line ] Truck
6L LN 8000
B 1983
S July
90006V Chassis Number. ???
Hope this helps you.
Loosley. :) ;)

More
10 years 2 months ago #139048 by bigcam
LN 700, I'm impressed!

More
10 years 2 months ago #139049 by hayseed

LN 700, I'm impressed!

ME TOO...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
10 years 1 month ago #139050 by oldfulla
Pat

Woops - I totally forgot that 6FPAAA prefx being added to comply with the 17 digit VIN standardisation thing.

And - from memory - in Fords case - that extra prefix meant nothing - other than a way of getting their old system up to the 17 character VIN.

And yes - in Fords case at least - it carried over to their commercial vehicle range. And I assume the 17 figure VIN change covered all vehicles anyway.

Oldfulla

More
10 years 1 month ago #139051 by oldfulla

MrBferret,
Here is a run down on your vin for your Louisville.
A North America
L Broadmeadows [secondary Line ] Truck
6L LN 8000
B 1983
S July
90006V Chassis Number. ???
Hope this helps you.
Loosley. :) ;)

Again - from a poor memory - I think the number stamped into the chassis was the full code. As was the engine number - except possibly for a single letter/digit suffix (added or deleted) being the diff between the stamped engine number & the stamped chassis number.

Oldfulla

More
10 years 1 month ago #139052 by MrBferret
Thanks everyone and thanks LN700 that has answered my question. Cheers guys

Time to create page: 0.512 seconds