Skip to main content

1953 Chev

• Topic Author
14 years 4 months ago #19056 by
1953 Chev was created by
I have offered a 1953 Chev 3ton tray goes seats done new timber for tray cabin very straight no rust what pit falls may happen if take it on and where get parts for this truck.Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 4 months ago #19057 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: 1953 Chev

Dedlee
GuddayM8

Wotz Happend

Haz the BedPhord disowned U

LOL

;D

Dedlee'z need for speed haz now thrust him to near the middle of the last century

;D

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #19058 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: 1953 Chev
Is this the British Chevrolet,the American Chevrolet or the Australian Chevrolet?Did we have a Chevrolet?We probobly would have thought it inferior if it hadn't have come from Britain or America.
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by bigcam.

• Topic Author
14 years 4 months ago #19059 by
Replied by on topic Re: 1953 Chev
BC it's a Chev 1500 and has daul wheels on the rear my drama is do i take it or do i try and sell for him but i would like to be able to go the yankee iron w/end and bring my whole fleet ;D ;D.
I think it's a Aussie built is that good ??? Dave

More
14 years 4 months ago #19060 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: 1953 Chev
Dave,I don't know much about Chev's to be honest.I',
m not surprised about Vic's comments on a previous post,seems like GM designed trucks and just changed the badge to suit the local market.Nothing has changed even today has it?It's a bit of a pity you can't take your pommie truck to an ATHS do,we've all got the same interests,maybe you could ask Stuart to make you an American Bedford badge and see if they'll believe you.LOL.

• Topic Author
14 years 4 months ago #19061 by
Replied by on topic Re: 1953 Chev
Dave - If there's no rust, you've got yourself a nice project. The Chev trucks of that era were imported in CKD form and assembled here. I'd suspect it came from a Canadian GM factory, even though it might be wearing a GMH ID plate. Often the smaller parts were locally sourced .. and you'll find a surprising amount of GM and GMH hardware is interchangeable. The door handles on FE Holdens are the same as '52 Chev cars. If you need mechanical or body parts, a lot will be available ex-U.S. The old "Stovebolt Six" was built in the tens of millions, so engine parts are still available. These trucks are nice drivers, fast and smooth .. but you can't hammer the engine all day long with the pedal to the metal .. they don't have full pressure-fed big end bearings, and they will run bearings if you hammer them flat-out all day long. The oil feeds via spray pipes to cups on the big end caps, and those pipes have to perfectly aligned with the cups.
This would be a simple and easy restoration, and a worthy one, because they were a good truck. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

More
14 years 4 months ago #19062 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: 1953 Chev
Hi Deadly,

You can buy every bit for the 53 Chev's new. Gauges, wiring harness's, grills, rubber kits etc.
Brown Bros even have new cab for them.
Ive just recieved some bits from classic parts in the US for my Aus chev cab and they bolted up perfectly.
As Onetrack says most of the 50,s Chev truck cabs came from Canada as CKD kits. All cab shells are the same for GMC and Chev from 47 - 54, ute size up.

www.classicparts.com/default.asp

Basil :D

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
14 years 4 months ago #19063 by Jake Brake
Replied by Jake Brake on topic Re: 1953 Chev
Hi Horney ,There,s a guy up here in Kyabram that has heaps of Chev & GMC, car & truck parts. His name is Jeff Garland ph 0358522215,he trades under the name of Rays yankee iron.
Ray

White the greatest name in trucks.

More
14 years 4 months ago #19064 by krankandhope
Replied by krankandhope on topic Re: 1953 Chev
Deadly Dave g,day,53 chev sounds like a really good project.Am doing a 51 1 ton at the moment,easy to get parts for,Chev Parts orLangdons Stovebolt seen to have just about everything.Only problems i found is that there seems to be a difference in the quarter window rubber between the aussie model and the others,and the drag link between the steering box and front axle changes.The motors are good to work on and very reliable,have fitted a 56 blueflame in this old girl,it gives you a fully pressurised oiling system,and a little bit more Hp,there is nothing wrong with the splash and cup system,but the later motors have the option of using hydralic lifters and a more torquey cam.Best of luck,and merry xmax to all Regards darren

More
14 years 4 months ago #19065 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: 1953 Chev
Deadly, go the Chevvy mate, you can always change your mind along the way... thats why they invented Ebay....
mean time you will have a great new project. I have not seen Chev stuff at Midlands, but there are a good few hiding in sheds and puttering about in thi part of the world...
I might even have a book on it for you

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds