Skip to main content

Many other Inter BCFs in Oz?

More
13 years 2 months ago #46407 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Hi all,
I am getting an IH BCF 180 spider rimmed bogie drive powered by a Perkins 6.354 and vacuum hydraulic brakes.

Similar to the R190 I think mechanically (6 spoke spider up front & the bogies are 5 spoke on hydraulic braked Eaton bogie. 3 speed Joey & no working driveshaft handbrake) but has the angel wing bonnet & cab shape a bit different.

Cab crap with rust.
It was put together by IH in Australia. Were there many of these in Australia? I haven't seen one before so considering the bad rust in the cab, hoping there is a reasonable chance of an inland cab body with minimal rust.

Kind Regards

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #46408 by Cunning Stunt
Wow steve, that truck's been sitting there for years, used do drive past it daily and for a long time, wondered what it was. There were a few out here but I'm no IH guru. I wouldn't be surprised if the cab interchanges with a few other models.

Cheers

Bruce

Some play hard to get

More
13 years 2 months ago #46409 by atkipete
The ACF / BCF Inters were assembled by IH here but I think you will find that cab is quite different to the AA or AB model. Later on they were called the Loadstar and you might get one of those.

More
13 years 2 months ago #46410 by bigcam
I think the cab is the same as the Loadstar, paul404 describes the differences on the Loadstar Restoration thread. One of our members has one that is very tidy.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #46411 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Yes Bigcam, it does look like the same cab, which means I may be in luck. Mine is a 1962 model I think with Perkins 6.354 as original I think and was a water tanker around Penrith in the late 1960s. The blinkers on top of the gaurds arre the main giveaway it's a BCF, and was about 17 Tonne GVM, even with narrow front hydraulic brakes.

When there was a thread on an R190 Restoration, with the spider drivetrain & twin stick shifts, the mechanics sounded the same. In the USA would have been fitted an Black Diamond petrol 6 & I'm told could also squeeze the 345V8 in itas an option. USA designed cab with the brake pedal operated via linkage to activate a passenger side master cylinder on firewall.

I will try get a reasonably rust free Loadstar cab now.

Bruce, Yes you would have driven by it lots over the years. It was at the same place as the MAN trucks & owned by the water tank contractor there. Out of interest, that very rusty MAN ex-ridgeways truck in Chinese 6 configuration (I pictured it a year ago on this forum) wasn't restored or scrapped but the owner says it was sent to Afghanistan as a parts donor truck.
Thanks, Stephen

Kind Regards
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman.

13 years 2 months ago #46412 by
Replied by on topic Re: Many other Inter BCFs in Oz?
SoftHeartedScotsn - Good find, shame about the rusty cab. I'm 99% sure the BCF cab and the Loadstar cab are identical.

We had a good discussion about BCF's previously. I believe you have a particularly rare truck.
What is more interesting is those Canadian/U.S.-style indicators, that don't appear to feature on any pics of any other Aussie other BCF's, that I've seen.

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1256357574/12#12

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 2 months ago #46413 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Thanks Ron, I do remember that post, and at the time was just interesting info. Now of course it is more interesting to me. One of the old fellows in our club (who's almost never wrong) told me it was a C-283 but that was before I found the BCF Body plate from IH Australia.
The BCF came with spiders, or studded wheels, but mine's a spider. The brochures like Swishy found (and I have bought one now) the 5 spd box & 3 Spd Joey, but it only lists an IH R-305 bogie (think that's right) but mine has diffs I'm sure are Eatons.

Any idea what model Eatons. Spiders and grime stop me looking for plates until I get it moved, but it has red diffs, seamed welded dome back on the diffs but is smooth, no IH pressing raised in the metal, and pinted white. Third Differential with diff lock.

Kind Regards

More
13 years 2 months ago #46414 by paul404
Nice find mate. I have a 3speed joey and handbrake off a 62 loadstar, also front axle and diffs. Good luck finding a good cab without rust. I found one out west but it still needs alot of work. I would think the perkins would be a repower. It would have had a 345v8 but i do stand2b....

More
13 years 2 months ago #46415 by Johnp
Steve your cab looks the same as a loadstar,but all the other photos/brochure pics of bcf,s dont have the bulbous roof of the F1800 loadstars,i wonder if your one has been changed earlier on by someone,just an observation

More
13 years 2 months ago #46416 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Good point JohnP,
Not sure.
Body plate is inside passenger door jam saying BCF180, but that could have been transferred over if re-cabbed. Certianly, that's what I would have to do as a good cab would be easier to fix, than rebuilding this one falling apart. has a yankee brake set up thouhg, with vacuum hydraulic brakes with master cylinder on passenger side of firewall.
Anyone have a definate way to tell??

Kind Regards

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds