Skip to main content

newbie austin 301

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #53988 by carbowe
newbie austin 301 was created by carbowe
Hi everybody long time watcher first time poster
i have found what I think is an austin 301 light truck i was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of info on these trucks, and what i would expect to pay for somthing like that, it appears to be in fair condition with no rust and 99.9% complete. I am yet to pick it up and do the deal and i will try and get a photo up so you can all see

Thanks ;D
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by carbowe.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #53989 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: newbie austin 301
Welcome Carbowe,
I know nothink about Austins but methinks they are pretty common, so parts etc should be accessible. There are a few forum members who are into the pommie stuff and can offer advice. Re how much should you pay. Not very helpful but all on here will tell you if you paid less than you were prepared to pay then you got a bargain. Have a look on evilbay, trucksales.com.au, and get a copy of just trucks, that'll give you an idea of what's out there for the same dollars. If the seller says "it was running when I psrked X years ago" beware! That's code for it's totally stuffed and will need twice what you paid for to get it running again ;D ;D ;D 8-)

Dennis

More
12 years 11 months ago #53990 by acco1840
Replied by acco1840 on topic Re: newbie austin 301
G'day mate. I brought a 1950's Austin 5-50N crane truck 2 years ago for $500. The truck is a wreck, but goes well, and the crane is a hydraulic lift with manual extention.
NB: the Austin is for sale for $250 with out the crane!!

1971 Butterbox Acco 1840 V8

More
12 years 11 months ago #53991 by Aussiehooker
Replied by Aussiehooker on topic Re: newbie austin 301
dont let that one get away it looks verry good don

12 years 11 months ago #53992 by
Replied by on topic Re: newbie austin 301
Hi there and welcome I have few rules when buying old trucks .
*1 check out what spares out there for the truck and if theres not much out there then try get a 2nd one in the deal ..
*2 how far do I have too transport home .
*3 If I pay much more than $300-00 over what you think its worth (so before making a offer think what you pay for the truck and then offer it but if they want lot over what you thought it was worth then walk away ) it could cost you min of about $ 8000-00 to do it up propably so if your ok with this then buy it and enjoy it . Dave :)

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #53993 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: newbie austin 301

i was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of info on these trucks, and what i would expect to pay for somthing like that

Hi Carbowe, and welcome to the forum! If you want the truck then grab it, because one like this doesn't come along very often. The value is established only when the owner passes you the keys ... then the agreed price becomes what the truck is worth! ::)

Remember too that you will always spend more on the truck than what you will ever recoup when you sell it again. ;)

And nothing wrong at all with British steel, probably outlasts Yankee iron! ;D

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Bugly.

More
12 years 10 months ago #53994 by carbowe
Replied by carbowe on topic Re: newbie austin 301
Thanks for all comments and help ppl and no one has shot me down yet!!
But one other thing what is the best way to pick up something like this by the looks of it, it would be to big and heavy to fit in a car trailer.

More
12 years 10 months ago #53995 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: newbie austin 301

... what is the best way to pick up something like this by the looks of it, it would be to big and heavy to fit in a car trailer.

Depends on how far away it is. Probably best short-haul would be by tilt-tray. Long haul may have to be by semi-trailer or road train. Or does it run under its own steam and do the headlights work? ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
12 years 10 months ago #53996 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: newbie austin 301
Long Rope and a quiet road... thats my prefered option unless the 1 percent missing is the steering wheel ;D

sure, after three days driving and your only halfway home it can get a bit wearing.... ;D ;D

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
12 years 10 months ago #53997 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: newbie austin 301
The truck is a Morris LC 4 or the later and more common LC5. I have never seen one badged as Austin (they were the same company by that time) so it is pretty rare. Might even have a different engine option to the Morris. If you can locate date of manufacture and engine type it will be easier to nail down the model. Have a look at the fire wall in the engine bay.

Time to create page: 0.547 seconds