Skip to main content

Stewart trucks / buses

More
12 years 8 months ago #62025 by beanpole
I have just joined from NZ and am wishing to find out if there are any Stewart trucks or buses in Aussie?
I have accquired a 1938 Stewart 45 AB1. It is set up as a Motorhome and has been this way for the last 30 years.
My main question is, did Stewart make a specific bus chassis? The one i remember from my teenage years was also a bus. The rear springs were under the axle rather than over the top. Also a very large step down in the front axle.This lowered the whole vehicle and made it easier to get in.The only other one i have seen is in Bill Richardson's truck museum in Invercargill. That is a truck with the springs over the top.
Hoping someone can help as there is very little on the net.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #62026 by Nr Mack
Replied by Nr Mack on topic Re: Stewart trucks / buses
Ihave two buddy stewart cab chassis trucks about 2 ton , dont know of any others

More
12 years 8 months ago #62027 by blitz9383
Hi there,

I have a stewart truck which I believe to be a 1926-28. It has a continental or wycombing side valve engine, 6 cylinder, 4 speed fuller gearbox and a timkin worm drive diff.

Here's a few photos from my phone, but can get a better photo next time I have it out if your interested.

I am interested in information on the stewart too! I am aware of a couple buddy stewarts being around, but not the 4 or 6t. Would like to see photos of your motorhome or anyone else's pictures.

Possibly your mobile home is a similar size - what is your engine size or gearbox size? Is it the same as mine, if so then it will probably be.

Steve

12 years 8 months ago #62028 by
Replied by on topic Re: Stewart trucks / buses
g'day beanpole daylesford truck wreckers in victoria have one out the back and is quite complete but very weathered. not part of the wrecking stock but put away with a few other rarities

cheers

12 years 8 months ago #62029 by
I belive there is one in Merv Brunts collection in Colac Vic. Dave

More
12 years 8 months ago #62030 by beanpole
Replied by beanpole on topic Re: Stewart trucks / buses
Thanks for the info Steve. Lokks like you have a bit of work to do.
Mine originally had a Waukesha motor. 63hp. It was repowered with a Chev 450 V8 260hp and bedford gearbox. I intend to get it home and lift the body off and tidy the chassis and running gear up. Hpoefully i can find anothe waukesha and g/box over time. They were reasonably common.
There seems to be a few Buddys about but not a lot of the bigger trucks.
I haven't a clue as to all the serial / model numbers that were made or even where they were made. I saw somewhere on the net they were also made in Ontario. Can't find it again.
I had my son put a photo on the site (I couldnt work out how to) but i cant seem to find it.
Cheers
Gordon

12 years 8 months ago #62031 by
Gordon , your pic of your Stewart bus is under this section go to board and down it and you will find it . Dave

Time to create page: 0.422 seconds