Skip to main content

Tipper body safty lock?

More
11 years 11 months ago #85251 by stepto and son
Howdy there, just wondering what safety precautions you take when working on tipper body's/chassis etc? when i get this little tipper truck home I want to tip up the tray to work on the chassis.
don't want to be killed by the tray suddenly dropping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #85252 by JBran
Replied by JBran on topic Re: Tipper body safty lock?
Bit of wood or steel (rail iron maybe) propped up underneath?

More
11 years 11 months ago #85253 by Bruce99
Replied by Bruce99 on topic Re: Tipper body safty lock?
Mechanic for the Council in Bordertown was killed (cut in half?) when a solid 4X4 slipped out that was holding a tipping body up.
I don't care if you have 10 poles holding it up you wouldn't get me leaning over the chassis rails.... ever!

***********&&---Bruce99---&&***********

More
11 years 11 months ago #85254 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Tipper body safty lock?
You want a proper body prop with a bit of channel on each end to locate it properley so it cant slip out.

More
11 years 11 months ago #85255 by truckiejas
don't forget about the tailgate if it is air operated open it now, as when the tipper is up the air can slowly leak out and it can let the tail gate open up on you.
had a guy at the last place i worked at that didn't open the tailgate on the tipper he was working on and after a while the pressure in the air rams dropped enough for the locks to open with the weight of the gate on them just as another guy walked past the rear of the truck the tailgate opened narrowly missing his head.

More
11 years 11 months ago #85256 by stepto and son
Crikey!!!!
Luckily this is missing the tailgate, but it is something I would never had thought off.

I have been told quite a few horror stories regarding tipper body's killing mechanics :-[

there has to be a properly designed "prop" somewhere that I can copy from

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #85257 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tipper body safty lock?
the bigger manufacturers all now have a ''prop device'' that usually swings down from underneath the body, into a pocket that sits within the chassis..

...only talking about the rigids that i've dealt with in the course of my work :) :)

More
11 years 11 months ago #85258 by clarkyinaus
A big lump of railway sleeper across the chassis rails at the pivot point of the tipper is all I do.....try it - put it in and let the bin down.....she don't go far (then lift back up to take load off)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 11 months ago #85259 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Tipper body safty lock?

ClarkinOz

Gudday M8

Sounds good

may B 99.9% of the time
but ifn the pivot point broke away etc
U could B L8 4 work
Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 11 months ago #85260 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Tipper body safty lock?
Clarky, I've seen them spit the bit of timber forward once. Mind that is all we used to do as well once, but it isn't 100% safe. You can't beat a proper steel prop inbetween the chassis and body.

Steptoe, we have a couple of different types, I'll get a picture if I get a chance.
Basically all you need is a bit of 75 X 75 RHS, scafolding tube or something that is reasonably strong and a bit of channel on each end. The channel goes over a cross member on the truck, and the same on the body so it can't spit out. we also have scaffolding jacks, which look a bit like acrow props except they have a solid screw in the centre, with channel on each end. Be carfull using Acrow props, they pop over the thread if they are screwed up with a load on them.

Another alternative is fitting a proper prop to your body, mobs like Shephards in Brisbane have the kits for a couple of hundred dollars, or just make your own, they are just a piece of 50 X 50 RHS on a pivot, with a bracket to hold it against the body when not in use, and a bit of pipe to go on the truck for it to fit into. If you use 40nb heavy pipe you can use the trailer jockey wheel clamp to hold it out of the way.

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds