Skip to main content

Looking for a 1950-1970 inter

More
14 years 8 months ago #14443 by butler123
Hi, I am looking for me and my fathers first project, we are looking for a 4-5t 1950-1970 international truck but we don't really know the models, if any one can tell me and point me in the direction of where to find one.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #14444 by Sarge
Jeeves.... ;D
you might need to give us some more information... just to narrow the search a bit... and or prowl through the photos on event chat, there a plenty of pics on the various topics there and you might see the truck you are after.

Someone will then be able to point out the pitfalls and good points.

Happy buying

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
14 years 8 months ago #14445 by butler123
Yea thanks for that, my Dad says he wants an AA or AB series, I dont really know much about them but I can use the PC, do you know where to find an AA or AB?

More
14 years 8 months ago #14446 by aussie l plate
this one was at echuca

More
14 years 8 months ago #14447 by butler123
Sarge, I was just looking at your posting for Marhong and there is a green inter on that, something about that size and age.

More
14 years 8 months ago #14448 by cribotow
hmmm, what size is that AA inter?? seems like good thing for $1200 make a good tow jigger :D some one buy it to stop me! hurry up im about to ph him! ;D

&&Grasp

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #14449 by Andy Wright
Butler, I think you mean the D1810? There's lot of them around still but they have a few things you need to keep an eye out for. There's a few guys on here who have had a hell of a lot to do with these trucks so they'll be the best to bounce ideas off.

Also, have a look at oldihc.org - this website is full of Inters so you can get an idea of what's in your age and size range.

Prior to the Ds, ABs, AAs etc is the AL and AR (Australian-built L & R) series which are quite numerous and very popular trucks to restore. As I said, there's a few guys on here who own and have restored these old girls or have worked them or simply know heaps so you've come to the right place.

You could even go earlier and have a look at the K and KB series of trucks (something I'm looking into at the moment). I reckon the KB6 and above are some of the greatest looking trucks ever built.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #14450 by bparo
this is an AR series (an ar162 to be precise)

the only visual difference to the previous AL series is a different grill like this

This is an AS series

The AA series was shown above with the vertically stacked headlights these are AB series with the headlights on the angle

here is a C series - a C1800 to be precise

to be honest I have trouble telling the difference between a C and D series Inter.

this is the KB series Andy mentioned

Also the numbers indicate the relative side of the trucks.
for the K/KB series 1 was the smallest and around 6 or 7 became prime movers.

For the AL/AR/AS/AA/AB series the numbering changed. a 110 was the smallest (around Ford F100 size) my 160 series (the AR162 above) is just over 9 tons GVM, A 180 is about the largest trays you will find (in fact you can find the occassional 160 and 180's as prime movers but they are more commonly 190's or higher).
The C and D series also followed the larger number/larger truck route but I am not familiar with the numbers involved.

The other thing to watch out is there were C and D trucks pre WWII so make sure you don't buy sight unseen. eg this C international

I hope this is useful and I don't get in too much trouble for what I don't know ;)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by bparo.

More
14 years 8 months ago #14451 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Inter models
Well for a start going from 1950 thru the years this should help you

L series - 160,170 etc.
AR series - " "
AS series - " "
AA " - " "
AB " - " "
AACO - " "
ACCO - 1500,1600,1800 etc
C line - " " "
D line - " " "

I'm sure as heck that someone will correct/add to this but it's a start

cheers werkhorse :)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
14 years 8 months ago #14452 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Inter models
There was also an AL model,but not that many about. The .... 160 model is usually the 5 tonner and for many years was the biggest of the Aussie built range.

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds