Skip to main content

Wanted. Inter or Dodge twincab

More
14 years 1 month ago #24555 by cobba
Gday everyone.
Joined up here about a week back and have spent a fair while on here reading a lot of the stuff in your forum and trying to find a place (or look in the right places) where I should introduce myself. Alas, I didn't find a place so thought I would do a post on the topic that brought me here in the first place.

Gotta say, there's a lot of people here that know a lot about a lot of things. I have got a soft spot for the early 50s to late 70s international light trucks and thought I knew a fair bit about them but wouldn't stand a chance in a debate with some of you guys.
Used to have an AR and an AS130 that had intentions of doing up a while back but sold them when moving one time (bummer) and also had a AA110 pick-up running C1100 running gear and a falcon disc rearend.

Anyways, enough of the dribble. I run a small engineering business about 20Ks south of Wodonga Victoria and have a Dyna 100 dualcab as my runabout. Unfortunately it doesn't really suit my needs as more often than not I can't get all my gear I need on the back in one trip (6'x7' tray) so I am revisiting an idea from years gone by of doing up a bigger truck in a twincab. I would prefer to do an International although a Dodge would be as good, some thing like a C1500 or D1610 (not sure of the equivilant sizes in a Dodge) as I would like to end up with a tray back of at least 7'x10' with the rear axle reasonably central to the tray. It could be a 1300 as I am not concerned about the carrying capacity, more so the wheel base, but don't think I will get the wheelbase in the smaller truck.

Saw a factory built AS twincab in Ebay recently and tempted to go that way too but it was a cab only and no interior, dash or fittings so I would need 2 complete trucks to build the one.

Interested to here anyones comments and if they know of something in reasonable condition sitting around anywhere.
Thanks in advance. Cobba.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #24556 by IHScout
Gday Cobba, welcome to the forum. Have you thought about what sort of engine you want - petrol or diesel, and how quick you want to go? You'll see posts else where on the forum from guys who find they need more speed from their old iron (including me with my D1950). I think you may have to end up melding two trucks into one to get what you want with the least fuss. There are plenty of twin cab AB, C and Ds that come up but few of them have the tray length you want, and when you add the right engine, gear box, diff combo to suit your needs you might be looking for a long time. I'd be looking for the cab you want then find a truck with the running gear and chassis length to marry it to. Alternatively have a look at those ex fire truck twin cab ACCOs that come up from time to time.

Dennis

More
14 years 1 month ago #24557 by atkipete
Some of those fire brigade ACCOs can be picked up for a reasonable price, one careful owner etc ....
That AS dual cab sounds interesting, I dont think they were ex factory but as Swishy says ....

14 years 1 month ago #24558 by
Is this the one you saw on EBay?

More
14 years 1 month ago #24559 by cobba
Thanks IHScout.
You are probably right about merging 2 trucks into one and valid questions as to the rest. A good body is the main thing I need.
As for the engine I am not really fussed. Haven't played with diesels much over the years but probably the better option for economy me thinks. A 282 or 345 petrol is OK too as it would then end up (if not already) running dual fuel.
As for road speed it will be a highway cruiser not a farm truck so it will end up with a tall diff and/or 20" wheels.
Pretty sure the 1510 and 1610 will have the wheelbase I am after but probably not the diff ratio to get the road speed I want.
As to the ACCO twincabs, there is one not far from me that was a MFB and had the pumper taken off the back and a 14' tray fitted. It's running the big V8 and an Allison auto. Had a drive of it and wasn't a bad ol jigger but was screaming it's tits off at 80Ks and needed another truck following it with a load of fuel just to get to the next servo. We do some trips away thru the year up to Northern NSW and QLD. At 3 Ks to the litre it would cost me $1000 in fuel to get there and back.

More
14 years 1 month ago #24560 by cobba
Gday atkipete and VK3UAO.
Yes that's the cab. It's sitting on a KS5 chassis but would refit it to an original chassis if I got it.

The story goes (if I get it right) that it was a factory built cab originally done as a Sydney council truck and a fella out Dubbo way bought it 20 something years ago for it's chassis. The cab got stored in the shed till the owner sold up the farm and his son or nephew got it and it went to Mossvale. I was actually looking at buying from the previous owner 6 months ago when it was first on Ebay but didn't have time to get up there to check it out.

Be something different though wouldn't it.

More
14 years 1 month ago #24561 by henryox
Hello, twin cabs were mostly custom made back then, we did a lot on Bedfords and Fords for the now energex, that is why you see the front door used, they were generally bolted shut on the right had side, factory AT4 Dodges were, the one i rebuilt into a horse float for a customer in the late 70's didnt even have hinges, we even made a dual cab on a 6x6 Toyota, it looked like a GMC, biggest problem you are going to have is rust,
Rob

More
14 years 1 month ago #24562 by cobba
Hi Guys. How's it all going.
Looking for a dualcab still. Been checking though just about every site on the Internet that I can find that might sell anything bigger than a tonka toy. Had started to get a bit disheartened as there seemed to be nothing around, then bang, these came up.

cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...parms=tab%3DWatching
cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...parms=tab%3DWatching
Both of them look pretty sound, the inter is running on gas and has the Bostrom Viking seats, although I would probably change the passenger side to a double out of something else or go back to a full bench.
The dodge has a good paint job and interior and has been dressed up to look purdy but photos can hide a lot and whats it like underneath the flashy surface.

Just wondering if there are any of you guys that might know either of these trucks, or better still, live near by and willing to have a look for me. The inter is at Old Bar, Taree area. The Dodge is Beaudesert QLD.

They are both finishing next Tuesday (30th), the Inter at 1pm and the Dodge at nearly midnight. Any help or knowledge would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers. Cobba.

More
14 years 1 month ago #24563 by wgipps
That white inter looks good but i am scratching my head over what it actually is.
It has Vic plates but it is in north NSW. It says he bought it in Vic so just consider that you may be looking at the photos of when he bought it. Check that with him.
I cant make out the details on the model on the compliance plate but i certainly cant see that it simply says 'D1510' next to the model.
The GCM and GVM are different from mine - by a fair way.
I reckon its priced pretty good as well - looks good.
But - before you buy - get photos of the underside of the bonnet (around the edges), the roof on all 4 sides above the rain channel, the underside of all 4 doors - how much rust is in them - ie are they repairable or rooted!
New bonnet - rocking horse poo - IF you can find a good one - $250 at least.
New doors - a lot easier as Dodge and Inter across several models have the same doors so they are not so hard to find.
Thats my 2 cents anyway.

"If I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a little?&qu

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #24564 by TonyD
Hey Cobba!
It all sems to have died off. Are you still after that twincab? I am in Brisbane, if that helps.I didn't know of HCVC at the time of the Dodge on ebay.

Cheers, Tony

Time to create page: 0.465 seconds