Skip to main content

Bedford for sale

More
13 years 6 months ago #36026 by ray
Bedford for sale was created by ray
1961 J3 Bedford for sale, in good nick for it's age, is complete but runs a bit rough. Rego expired May 2010 and is too good to wreck. Located in Dandenong South. Contact Robert Mc Intosh 0418565972 or email mookta007@optusnet.com.au

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #36027 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Re: Bedford for sale
Just bought it! now I gotta tell the Bride, today is our 21st wedding anniversary.......If I put a bow around it.....

Oh well, if it all goes pear shaped, i can always live in the box on the back!

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
13 years 6 months ago #36028 by scratcha
Went down to Dandy yesterday, fired up the old girl, had a bit of a muck about with the timing, will need a set of plugs, do the valve clearances, adjust the brakes and i will bring her home.

Going to cut the covered body down to a tray (unless any one wants the body and has a tray floating spare ;)

in love with the old banger already! Turns out to be the same model truck as the first i ever drove (steered) when I was about 8 carting hay!

I think the primary producer reg will be the go.

More
13 years 6 months ago #36029 by scratcha
Update on the old girl, a new set of plugs, reset the points gap, set the timing, drained the fuel from the carb and fuel filter bowl, put in 20 litres of premium fuel, cranked her over and she's running like a Swiss watch. 8-)

Next step, sort out the brakes (she locks up the rear and pulls a bit :o

More
13 years 6 months ago #36030 by scratcha
Forgot to add, it now starts using the crank handle! :D

13 years 6 months ago #36031 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bedford for sale
scratcha - They're a good old chariot .. not a speed machine .. but they are reliable as the day is long.

I bought one about 1986 to carry my dozer tracks back and forth to Perth for rebuild. It had belonged to builders in a local town, and it was sitting in a car yard where it had been traded in. $300 and it was mine!

However .. it had a nasty rumble from the rear axle. These builder clowns had never checked a thing in the old girls life! .. and all the diff carrier bolts had come loose, and all the diff oil had leaked out! :'(
Rather than fix it, they traded it in! I had to fit a good used diff, but when that was done, I was laughing!

She was good for 80-85kmh, but 90 kmh was too fast for her.

I sold it in Kalgoorlie about 8 years later to a mad Kiwi fella who was working for me. He took off around Australia in it, and I've never seen it since!

It was originally painted red, the same as yours, but the blokes decided it needed a coat of Cat yellow! .. so that's what it got!
So, if you ever see a Cat yellow J3 anywhere, that will be my old girl!! .. :D

More
13 years 6 months ago #36032 by scratcha
One track, your right about the speed, she is fairly singing at 40mph :)
After I drove up the road for about a km, I did a Uey and threw the young bloke behind the wheel.
As a mechanical illiterate, he loved it! The first time behind the wheel of anything bigger than a 60 series cruiser.

I gotta tell you, watching him drive it, im not sure who had the biggest grin on their mug, me or him!
He did alright too, although the re-entry into the farm was a bit quick but he kept it shiny side up lol! ;D

It even has the original delivery slip in the glove box.

what a gem.

More
13 years 6 months ago #36033 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Bedford for sale
Love your work, Scratcha. Hope you're planning on bringing her to Swishy's BBQ or Sandown ... or both.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
13 years 6 months ago #36034 by scratcha
Andy, I plan to attend the Sandown day, I have the clearance forms filled out from the Bride,
but I want to cut down the body to a tray and I think I will struggle for room at home to do it, that and its too high to go under the carport with the body on.
might have to run it up to the farm and do it there. It will be a pain in the a$$ up there as if I need anything (as in parts)it will be a fortnight before I get back up there
I had a yap with the old boy (father in law) he ownes the farm, and I dont think the Beddy will ever cart any hay between properties, this year we are cutting on all of them, so it will be a paddock to shed run only.

At worst it will be running back to Melbourne with a load of yellow box fire wood for me 8-)
At that, I could happily go the CH rego without risk of trouble from the Boys in Blue.

I will have to bring it to Sandown on a permit as I wont have joined up or had the truck assessed for CH reg before then as its unregistered, i will throw the old Black & white plates on it . I found them under the seat.
Just to keep in the farm theme, it will have a cattle crush in the back ::)

More
13 years 6 months ago #36035 by scratcha
One thing I neglected to do was thank Ray for the post advertising the Bedford.

Owe you a beer mate ;)

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds