Skip to main content

Lathe for swap or sale

More
12 years 6 months ago #66754 by paulc20
Replied by paulc20 on topic Re: Lathe for swap or sale
Will get a photo when the rain stops. I think the bed is about 6ft long about 2'6" wide, but purely a guess from memory. The electric motor is on its own pedestal and drives the planer by flat belt, the dogs throw the belt over to the adjacent pulley for the fast speed reverse. As for weight, a Case 580k couldn't really lift it with a chain on the front bucket.
Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #66755 by
Replied by on topic Re: Lathe for swap or sale
One of the things I've learnt about machine shop equipment, is that they make bulldozer parts feel like fairy floss!
I lifted, dragged, and hauled around bulldozer parts for over 3 decades, and thought they were heavy, until I started getting involved with machine tools!
You can bet your bottom dollar, that old planer is about 3 tonnes. There's nothing on those old machines that isn't cast out of solid, dense cast iron .. and man, it is heavy!! :'(

More
12 years 6 months ago #66756 by Plushy
Replied by Plushy on topic Re: Lathe for swap or sale

It is almost impossible to find anyone who will have take an old machine, except for scrap. I have a small capstan lathe, a large shaper and a very large planer I don't need and will never used. We have contacted a number of museums, tradesmen, etc, no one is interested. It seems a waste to melt them down, but what alternative is there?
Paul

I would love that Shaper they are hard to find these days . Any idea how much the shaper weighs ? and the model number of the shaper ?

Thanks ,

James

More
12 years 6 months ago #66757 by paulc20
Hi
The shaper is an Austolite, made by Fred Price Pty Ltd of Melbourne. The bed where you clamp the job is 600mm long. Overall length of machine is approx 2m and stands about 1m tall. I am only guessing, but was thinking weight would be somewhere towards a ton, but I think a scrappy would have a better idea.

12 years 6 months ago #66758 by
Seems to be doing a lot of raining up your way try keep it for the weekend . Dave ;D ;D ;D

More
12 years 6 months ago #66759 by paulc20
Planer is a Smith and Coventry, of Manchester. The bed is currently sitting on a pallet.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #66760 by
I'll wager that shaper weighs around 2 tonnes, not 1 tonne. Those big solid castings are a massive weight.

That's a very large model of Austolite shaper. They were cloned or built under licence from Atlas in the U.K.
Here's a webpage on them, and there's a clickable link on the site to the Atlas shapers, which contains a lot more info.
The Austolite pictured on the U.K. lathes website appears to be one of their smaller models.

www.lathes.co.uk/atlasshaper/page2.html

More
12 years 6 months ago #66761 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Lathe for swap or sale
Remember using some of those old shapers absolutely brutal cutting was always $hit frighten that the job would fly out kill you

More
8 years 9 months ago #66762 by ady
Replied by ady on topic Re: Lathe for swap or sale
Hi all I am interested in all workshop machinery so how much are you wanting and what do you have message me if you want too thanks

More
8 years 9 months ago #66763 by dno
Replied by dno on topic Re: Lathe for swap or sale
My guess is, your a little late for this.

Reply #27 - 24.11.2011

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

Time to create page: 0.609 seconds