Skip to main content

I need schooling from the experts - UD 2 Strokes

More
14 years 10 months ago #11285 by Cunning Stunt
In my illustrious search for as much pommy rubbish that I can fit in my shed, I have traced a UD powered Commer. As disapointed as I was to receive word that my Uncles 4 cyl GM Commer was scrapped ( thanks to a wanted add in "The Land") I was fairly excited to find a well known Sydney truck that I had last seen 9 years ago. It's a long story but this truck was owned by its original owner when I last saw it but unfortunately he passed away and that resulted in his daughter taking the truck and spread axle trailer (bought new together in the late 60's and still registered!) away to country NSW. After the knocker cried enough he had repowered it with a V8 Perkins but soon pulled that motor in favour of a 5 cylinder UD 2 stroke and 10 speed Road Ranger.

The truck is now owned by the lady's ex father in law and it is certainly for sale so I am going for a drive in a fortnight to check on its condition and price. What I'm wondering is, are they a dog or a good thing.................and what the hell do they sound like???

I'm still trying to locate the trailer but I'm getting warmer. I'm interested to hear from anyone who has experienced these odd engines.

Thanks

Bruce

Some play hard to get

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 10 months ago #11286 by Swishy

Stunning
GuddayM8
Sme again
LOL
the early UD were a poor mans screemin GM 2 stroke diesel
the early UD Diesels were also 2 stroke n sounded very similar to the screemers
many trucks were repowered with these beasts way back when
they were certainly better than a Gardiner or Perkins
n did a good service
seemed like lots of petrol powered trucks were repowered with the UD 2 Stroke Diesel also sum were 5 Cylinders i think
Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 10 months ago #11287 by Cunning Stunt
Thanks mate, the only things I have heard have been positive. Seems the 4 cyl were a bit of a bugger but the 5 was okay. My thoughts are to preserve this old girl, hopefully with its original trailer and it would be a good one to tow the knocker on long runs. I was told it should be about 180hp.

Some play hard to get

14 years 10 months ago #11288 by
G'day Bruce,
Sorry to hear about the demise of your Uncles Commer, was it scrapped (as in melted down) or could it have been scrapped and sitting in a truck graveyard stripped out somewhere?

Just hoping for a miracle!

-Stuart

More
14 years 10 months ago #11289 by bigcam
My grandfather had a couple of UD4`s in buses,they sounded number 1,then they went 6V53`s even better.Sadly the big difference today is that you can still buy parts for the GM,but the last time I went to find parts for a 2 stroke UD was 15 years ago,and they where pretty thin on the ground then.Moores Track parts was the mob that used to import the motors.I`m pretty sure they are still in business,it would be interesting to know if you can still get parts.The motor seemed like a GM 71 series copy except it had Bosch style fuel pump and injectors instead of unit injectors.

More
14 years 10 months ago #11290 by Cunning Stunt
That's great info thanks. I managed to source new parts for a Knocker rebuild so I'm hoping I would have the same luck for the UD. Yet I'm hoping that it is still a good runner and will need only minor work.

Stuart, the guy who rang me described the same truck and said it was "cut up" about 15 years ago, made the tray and rear end into a trailer and pulled the GM. Still waiting for photos. At least we found it..... :-[

Some play hard to get

14 years 10 months ago #11291 by

Stuart, the guy who rang me described the same truck and said it was "cut up" about 15 years ago, made the tray and rear end into a trailer and pulled the GM. Still waiting for photos. At least we found it..... :-[

Oh! :'(

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #11292 by GM Diesel
Bigcam,

I found a place in Japan that still stocks some parts for the UD two strokes.....around $16,000 for an inframe kit for a UD6. Blower parts are pretty well non existant.
There are some chinese or Korean manufacturers that do limited parts, liners etc.
Its a shame they are thin on the ground. Many a R190 was repowered with the 5 cyl and it would be great to see one restored we all could goggle over. Sound all of there own the 5 cyl.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by GM Diesel.

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds