Skip to main content

Trailer Axles. What Brand's your Favourite?

More
8 years 11 months ago #159082 by Debo
Noticed Rex & Swishy talking about trailer axles and I thought it would be a good topic.
I'm a big fan of BPW and have run drums and also discs, over to you.
Debo :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159083 by Swishy
Debo
Gudday M8

Gr8 Subject
Spose axles mean different thingz 2 different ppl

Trailer axles on 15 inch wheels means they do more revolutions compared to the truck tyres and the small setup needs 2 B HD @ times ifn U cum n out of a Rd 2 turn n the Rds R only made for cars U can run the RSend of trailer wheels thru ditches n humpz n the one axle could B carrying the hole RSend load n tend to bend axles
th@'z why we need HD axles the Fruehauf/Propar axle is light weight n not HD for Float work .... But survives... the Yanky Dana Axles R good but Euclid bought m out n n sum parts hard to get.

the 'S' cam brakes R the best n no need to reinvent the wheel...az eye have heard of horror stories wiff disc brakes
(KISS) Keep It Simple Stupid)

Not recommended to do wiff brakes

Wen U fit new brakes n the seal leaks n oil n grease all over the new Brakes linings n has 2 B all redun...wash the linings n hub in petrol to remove most of the oil/grease. then wen thiz haz dried sum wipe the linings with the oxy to burn the oil grease out ... Not to hot

Wen fitting new linings to an ol worn drum... U can grind the lip off the edge of brake drum to make the drum slide on easier
Also with a rasp chamfer a bevel on edge of linings so it dont grab on inside of drum..... more noticeable wen do n up wheel bearings.. the lining will grab

If U run n Bolt on linings n U need a bit more life out of m B 4 they hit the head of the Bolt u can cut a packer from a thick gasket material ( Repco red/orange manifold gasket material) n bolt B tween Lining n shoe

Jist a few Dont do this
As it may not B recommended
presuming U no all the safety procedures

While eye'll Remember EDIT
Fitn the brake shoe springs is easier wen the shoes R on the ground... fit m up then slip m on n over the anchor n cam

WotSezU?

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Swishy.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159084 by rex
Hi All
When Swishy re lines his next set of Brakes it certainly will not be the first time. More than a good deal of experience in the Post.
As for Axles as Swishy has pointed out some of the American Axle manufacturers are no more. Probably because the Chinese have taken over, Fuwa K hitch are suppling Axles at very good prices, both 15 and 12 inch, we would have in excess of 100 Axles in service and have never had a problem. We have reached the stage where old Axles are removed and new Fuwa Axles fitted, rather than do a full reline, Drum, Seals and Bearings, it is cheaper. As for Seals we only use the Stemco STM 0173G, this is the rubber backed type where the Seal runs within it's self. Bearing combination 218248 / 212049, bog standard stuff get it anywhere and works well.
To put it bluntly the American axles are cost effective and reliable, you can get bits for them anywhere, and not have to pay a fortune. The BPW Axles cost more than double the money and in my humble opinion no better.
Now that I have said my bit about Axles, I am going back to Wot R they good 4 to wind Swishy up.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
8 years 11 months ago #159085 by hayseed
Well Debo, I can say with 100% certainty the WORST axles I've ever owned were York.
Complete & utter crap (& that's the nicest thing I can say about them) ;)

The old Propar axles with the parallel Bearings were/are a very good trouble free Axle But are getting a bit old now.
Actually the last few sets of Axles I've Bought have bees Chinese Axle with the same bearing setup as the proper Axles & have been very trouble free.

Rex, you're correct about how, It's now cheaper to Buy New axles than pull the old one out Strip It down put it a lathe to repair crook bearing surfaces/threads. My grand fathers would be both spinning in their graves at the premise that It's cheaper to buy something new tha repair the Old one.
But that's just the world we now live In....

I'll second what Debo said,
For sheer reliability simplicity & longevity BPW Axles are very hard to beat...

Swishy, A little tip for the next time you are relining brakes.
Fill the rivet holes up with Silastic & trim with a razor after It's set.. this will stop the rivet holes filling up with Dust/dirt & wearing grooves in your Brake drums. Locite high temp Silastic is best, (The elcheapo gutter stuff will Ball up & rollout the Holes)
On second thought Swish, don't worry, your Melways doesn't have any dirt roads in It ;D ;D

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 11 months ago #159086 by John Whale
lads whats your opinion on backing plates on or off??? cheers whale

More
8 years 11 months ago #159087 by Mrsmackpaul
I know the rules say on but I prefer off

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 11 months ago #159088 by Blackduck59

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 11 months ago #159089 by Swishy
Mrs
M80

we prefer m on
specially on little float wheels
reason
wen travel n unmade n pothole rds we find wen a wheel runs thru a hole it splashes grit, sand n stones into the opposite brake n reams the drum out wen u apply the brakes.... fit n B/Plates tends to eliminate the problem

if U think u're brakes R run n to hot .... change down a gear or 2 n let the engine brake control the situation sum

Butt

WaddaEyeKno

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 11 months ago #159090 by Mrsmackpaul
Swishy I do believe you maybe onto something as I think backing plates are called dust shields or some such thing in the rest of the world but I could be wrong

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 11 months ago #159091 by Debo

lads whats your opinion on backing plates on or off??? cheers whale

I say ON! based on the following example.
York axles on a farm pick up tanker going no further than 150km round trips dirt roads without the backing plates = shoes lasting 1 season >:(
Same trailer relined with backing plates fitted= 2.5 seasons and then sold roadworthy without having to reline it again :D

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds