Skip to main content

F8000 Ford where abouts

More
8 years 10 months ago #160396 by 425Cat
Hi All.
I've followed forum for a while but this is my first post.
Interested if anyone has come across a Cat powered F8000 Ford recently. My farther owned one from 70's through to 89. He towed for Vaughans originally with it until moving across to Cubico. This particular truck was sold new into Mildura( running market) and from new was lengthened and fitted with Transpec airbag pusher axle. Once my father purchased it he removed pusher axle which then began a process to make truck conform to his work requirements. The list of modifications (but not limited too) involved raising cabin 12", removed supercharged 180 making way for brand new ( before released in Australia for new truck fitment) 250hp 3208T Cat eng, new alloy case 10speed O/D spicer spoiler trans, 2speed eaton on full air with ten stud hubs, replaced front axle with full air 10 stud Bedford front axle. Truck from new was red but during initial build dad painted it red with black stripe and drak tinted windows. At the time of ours running interstate there was another that was similar except it was all 'black' and had a tilt front with V8 cummins (from memory) RR trans, twin stacks and 10 stud front axle but from a D series I think. The black one run Melb Syd mostly and ended up at Hume HWY truck wreckers and was there into the early 90's. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I will load some pictures when I get a chance. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160397 by Mrsmackpaul
dunno know about the truck but sounds like a hot rod

welcome aboard 425 cat
now that you mentioned pictures this lot will give a hard time till you put them up lol

seeya

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 10 months ago #160398 by defective
...I'm pretty sure it was/is Doria Brothers who had an F8000 tray ...all red and shiny and sat up very proud looking. Someone here may know of the history and how Doria's came to have it...??

More
8 years 10 months ago #160399 by f700
Replied by f700 on topic Re: F8000 Ford where abouts
Hi, I think this Ford F8000 came into the yard I was a subbie at (Interport Cargo Services) in Botany N.S.W. in the 1980s. I had a F8000 as well and the driver wanted to have a look at my truck but I wasn't in the yard when he came there. The boss reckoned it was a lot nicer than my one. When I bought the truck it had a 910 roadranger behind the 180 Cummins . My fatherinlaw and I fitted a V671 Detroit and a bigger 2spd Eaton diff in it . We also fitted a new ex US army front axle and springs. We converted it to full-air brakes and made it a tilt front. The chassis was painted Ford tractor blue and the cab was white. I put a roof airfoil on it to try and make it appear a bit bigger because it looked like a F100 when it was parked amongst bigger trucks. It was a good truck to drive and I ran it for about 10 years around Sydney. I still regret selling it . I never did get to see the red one .

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160400 by defective
Hi F700 .. unfortunately yours is the one that was out at Victoria Truck Wreckers in Somerton Vic not that long ago...at least only in the last 10 years. She had been painted black and was by then a sorry mess...still with the steel tilt front.

...I'd seen her once on the highway way back in the day between Melbourne and Adelaide pulling a Vaughan pantech and she sat very high off the front wheel arches, but by then the Vaughan fleet was looking very ordinary with their hard worked subbies doing it pretty tough....
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160401 by overnite
"Vaughan fleet was looking very ordinary with their hard worked subbies doing it pretty tough...."

I thought they were always like that.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by overnite.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160402 by defective
...i was only trying to be nice overnite ... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160403 by f700
Replied by f700 on topic Re: F8000 Ford where abouts
Hi, Defective, There must have been a couple of modified F8000s about. My one is still in Sydney. I sold it to a drag racer who used it to pull his Pantech/transporter .He replaced the V671 with a V692 and fitted a Transpec lazy axle to it. The bloke who drove it for him ended up buying it . He changed it to a Hendrickson bogie drive and put a tipper body on it. I tried to buy it back a few years ago but he was changing it to a tilt tray towtruck.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160404 by defective
please excuse me for the mistake f700 .. it's nice to know your old girl is still in one piece...cheers

More
8 years 10 months ago #160405 by overnite

...i was only trying to be nice overnite ... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

I thought so. You're a real gentleman. There's not many of us left, are there?

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds