Skip to main content

Shortening and resplining input shafts on transmissions

More
8 years 7 months ago #163131 by Dave_64
Hi Guys,
Run into a temporary snag when changing input shafts on NP435. Splined area about an inch too short to use off the shelf ,readily available, clutch cover, clutch disc and spigot bearing. Have temporarily set up for Dodge/Chrysler system using stock parts but conversion calls for longer input shaft.

I have an International Harvester NP435 input shaft here that is long enough, but would need some machining and to make life simpler, would get it resplined to Dodge 23tooth X one inch.

Question is, can it be done successfully? I have had Ford 9 inch axles shortened and resplined, many years ago threw a 9" under an old CJ Jeep. So, I am assuming it CAN be done, But just how successful would it be on an input shaft? Copping all the torque of the engine, although saying that the original transmission used an 11 inch clutch behind a Big Block 440 Chrysler, even running it behind a 245 HD Dodge truck engine. The Inter was also running an 11 inch clutch, unsure of the engine box came from behind, 6 cyl 281 or something similar.
I am thinking it would have to be softened somehow, machined to size and then rehardened? Plenty of material to work with, getting someone who knows how to do it properly is another thing. Anyone got any one they could recommend in either the Ballarat or Bendigo area. Would even go to Geelong at a pinch.

Anyone had anything similar done? Just how successful was it? Appreciate any help, thanks
Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #163142 by dieseldog
I've had good luck repairing slasher gearbox shafts by cutting the old spline off and boring a hole an inch or two deep, getting a new length of spline shaft and machining a spigot to suit the hole in the old shaft and pressing the two together, followed by a decent weld around around the outside.

It might be easier to get a longer female spline turned up and fitted to the clutch plate.

More
8 years 7 months ago #163157 by RayF
I doubt that its hard enough to stop it from being machined. A machine shop with a half decent mill and a dividing head could do that.
I don't think I would be hitting that shaft with the welder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
8 years 7 months ago #163177 by Dave_64
Found a clutch bloke in Ballarat who will have a look at putting a longer female spline in my old plate. Always worth a try before cutting up shafts .

Dave

More
8 years 6 months ago #163978 by Dave_64
Hi,
After getting a few false starts, was finally re-directed to Jack MacNamara Diffs of Dandenong (Vic.). Spoke to the man himself and he suggested collecting all the relevant bits and pieces, housing, shaft, yoke etc.

Take the whole shooting match down and see what he suggests, apparently a couple of ways around the treating of the input shaft.

Dave_64

More
8 years 5 months ago #164509 by Dave_64
Ended up getting Jeff McNamara to do the whole housing, case away at the moment having index hole enlarged to accept new unit.

Cheers, Dave

More
8 years 5 months ago #164616 by Dave_64
Just a quick update on resplining transmission input shafts before we retire it. Yes, Virginia! It can be done!
Very simple really, once you find a good machinist. Put in a lathe first up, spun and a very slight touch up to make sure it was true and not bent.
The shaft was marked, cut to length with an ultra-thin cut off wheel, this particular one was only surface hardened. Once correct length was determined, the spline was cut into the IH shaft, ( put any spline you like on it, we opted for the Dana 44 diff spline as yokes, nuts and lockwashers are so common for them.)
The shaft was re-hardened to Rockwell 43 (?) standards, assembled and was bolted to the redrilled case.
As well meaning as some people were, the precision involved by cutting, shutting, welding may be for something like a PTO take off shaft just wasn't good enough for something like this adaptation.

I have taken into consideration that the torque forces will be multiplied, but with a bit of caution when driving, should be OK. Only moderate amount of HP going into it.
Thanks for your input, Cheers, Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.433 seconds