Skip to main content

Tarcutta Rough

More
6 years 9 months ago #185726 by Swanny
Tarcutta Rough was created by Swanny
Hi all ,Has anyone any memories of heavy vehicle checking station and weighbridge south of Tarcutta at the start of the notorious Tarcutta Rough . There is a story that a very disgruntled truckie blue up the bridge with a stick of gelignite and put it out of action, i was told this story by an old driver when i worked for Bruce Panucci transport in the early 70s . Can anyone confirm the story i think he said the bloke who did the good deed was an owner driver and owned a Foden

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #185731 by steveb
Replied by steveb on topic Tarcutta Rough
Now that subject takes me back a few years. Jack Steele was the sergant at the Tarcutta police station in the early 1960s.
He booked me , for , in those days crossing the railway line at the rail siding for exceeding 15 mph....
He and the late Bob Kennedy who was the motorcycle cop at Tarcutta..They told me there had been an incident at the weighbridge but would not elaberate on it(spelling)...
At the time I was driving for the Osbourne family at "Kilgowlah" a Property in the middle of the Tarcutta rough.
There is a truck park now on the southbound lane , north of the "Kilgowlah" gateway.
Every time I go past it brings back memories..............

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #185744 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Tarcutta Rough
Hope you didn't try poking your nose out of the farm gate during happy hour Mr B.
I occasionally sneak in and have a look at the old road there when I'm heading through in the car.

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Gryphon.

More
6 years 9 months ago #185766 by steveb
Replied by steveb on topic Tarcutta Rough
Jimbo old mate , thought that photo was the driveway into the old Crummins mechanics place in Grenfell!!(Ha Ha)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 8 months ago #185792 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Tarcutta Rough
RE: Weighbridge rumors
Did hear many moons ago
a agitator driver dumpd a load of ready mix concrete on the weigh plate @ Seymour weighbridge A/H
also wen superglu was new someone filled the lock on the bunker door @ Broardford weighbridge

all rumors

cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 8 months ago #185795 by Thunder Down Under
Replied by Thunder Down Under on topic Tarcutta Rough
Didn't some cockies blow up the bridge at Keith a few years back? :woohoo:

TDU

More
6 years 8 months ago #185797 by Swanny
Replied by Swanny on topic Tarcutta Rough
There was a bloke back in the 60s i think his name was Jack Asterly who drove a Leyland beaver through 3 cop cars diverting trucks onto the weigh bridge at Willow Tree he was a bit overloaded with grain grossing close to 50 ton they reckoned the gates where that bowed it looked like a tanker

More
6 years 8 months ago #185836 by olddon
Replied by olddon on topic Tarcutta Rough
There was another rumour going around at one stage about a Brambles tanker dropping acid into the plate at Winton as well,but as I said it was only a rumour. Cheers Don,

More
6 years 8 months ago #185845 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Tarcutta Rough
Well remember the night doing a Tarcutta changeover when we used to swap over in the old railway yard, (actual goods shed and weighbridge still there at the time) one of Browns cab overs with a load of baled scrap paper broke in half on that mongrel level crossing just on the south side of town.
Luckily no-one was hurt that I know of, although would guess that the old mate driver once sorted out, may have been due for a change of underwear!

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #185846 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Tarcutta Rough
Couple of names from Tarcutta past, would no doubt stir a few memories.
Anyone remember the town copper Russell Noakes?
What I recall of him, gave everybody a fair shake so long as you were doing the right thing through town.
ALSO, in regard to Willow Tree, anyone know when that 'New Bridge' was installed?
Again, if the old grey matter is still functioning, they used to weigh in the railway yard as well?
Goulburn railway yards was another one.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Dave_64. Reason: Additional text

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds