Skip to main content

3D crossings

More
5 years 10 months ago #194355 by Roderick Smith
3D crossings was created by Roderick Smith
Two photos at Boulia; one in Dunedin (NZ)/ A fourth photo, with camels, I've placed in the horses thread.
Roderick.

Outback Queensland town of Boulia the latest to embrace 3D pedestrian crossings May 30, 2018 .
The 3D crossing. Photo: Boulia Council.
An outback Queensland town stopped traffic last month when the local council announced it was attempting a novel method of traffic control in the form of a 3D pedestrian crossing.
Boulia – better known for its Camel Racing – has installed one of the optical illusions, with the hope of also attracting tourists and encouraging more street art.
And recent Facebook posts show that it does slow traffic, even on the speedy desert creatures, with Woodhouse Camels reporting that their steeds had approached the crossing with caution.
Even the camels slow down for the 3D crossings in Boulia. Photo: Woodhouse Camels Facebook page.
Boulia mayor Rick Britton had seen similar crossings on social media, and decided to “give it a go”.
“I saw that other countries had put 3D crossings in to slow the traffic down,” he told the ABC. “I thought that’d be a great idea in a little outback town like ours.”
Even Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull recently paid a visit to the zebra crossing, while in the town as part of a tour of drought-affected areas earlier in June.
The concept is reported to have originated in New Delhi, India, but has also popped up in Iceland, China, Malaysia, New Zealand and the United States.
There are variations in designs, with the crossings in Taizhou, China, being rendered in blue, white and yellow. Iceland’s are painted in a photo-realistic style, with whites and greys.
Meanwhile, in Dunedin in New Zealand, one crossing was adorned with cartoon feet, while another was rendered to resembles rock emerging from water, with a river them. Both crossings were painted by Melbourne-based artist Jenny
McCracken, with local artist Guy Howard-Smith
Boulia is not the only Queensland location to trial the different approach to pedestrian safety.
In March, Cairns Regional Council announced a plan to “create the illusion of a floating zebra crossing using 3D art methods” on Point Pier Road, replacing an existing pedestrian crossing. After six months, the trial would be assessed to see if there was any change to driver or pedestrian behaviour.
It would cost about $30,000 to install the crossing outside the shopping centre and hotel, on the single road that provides access to a car park.
The report from the council into the proposed trial noted potential risks such as the artwork distracting drivers from pedestrians crossing, and pedestrians interfering in traffic flow by stopping in the middle of the road to take a
photo.
< www.domain.com.au/news/outback-queenslan...180530-h10qwm-440790 >

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194357 by .RC.
Replied by .RC. on topic 3D crossings
How does it cost $30 000 to paint the bitumen?

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #194360 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic 3D crossings
Only about a $1000 for the painting. The other $29k is for the risk assessment, traffic plan, council planning and painting permits, committee to agree on the design and the on-site traffic management.

Might be more cost effective to organise a couple of teenage taggers to knock something up after hours.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by jimbo51.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

More
5 years 10 months ago #194364 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic 3D crossings
And don't forget insurance when someone trips on them.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194372 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic 3D crossings
Hi,

What would happen if you painted a speed bump on the road some distance before a REAL speed bump?

Funny or what?

cya
-b

Mucking about on the edge
The following user(s) said Thank You: eerfree

More
5 years 10 months ago #194373 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic 3D crossings
I noticed the trend to painted cattle grids in the NT.
You'd drive over numerous conventional railway line grids and interspersed you'd come across white painted lines that looked exactly the same, just no bump or noise.
Thought why not do that with speed bumps.
No need to build these suspension killers at shopping centres just paint lines.
Would work for me and all it takes is the car ahead to slow down and the rest have to follow suit.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194374 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 3D crossings
Jeffo

Would work once. Next time they would just keep going. If they painted all speed bumps 50/50 with real ones that would be interesting.

Lang

More
5 years 10 months ago #194376 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 3D crossings
This might slow them down.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

More
5 years 10 months ago #194378 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic 3D crossings
I reckon it would work.
We all drive follow the leader at the shops so even if one in the group is aware that the speed bump isn’t real, for sure there would be others who don’t or perhaps just drive at a sensible speed.
End result would be the same bunching up effect as a real bump.
Some of these steel bumps are beyond a joke, almost have to go to low range to mount them.

More
5 years 10 months ago #194381 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic 3D crossings
Double speed bumps at Newfarm Park in Brisbane - they are about a foot apart. Absolute killers.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.757 seconds