Skip to main content

Highway tar lifting (Qld)

More
5 years 9 months ago #194650 by Roderick Smith
Roderick.

Surface lifting off two Queensland highway sites 10 July 2018.
The surface is lifting off two highways in far north Queensland not far from where more than 60 drivers got caught in a tar trap at a roadworks site.
Authorities are monitoring two sites on the Palmerston and Kennedy highways, in the same area where drivers' tyres and vehicles ended up caked in tar that lifted off the Millaa Millaa-Malanda Road on the Atherton Tablelands last week.
A ute's tyres are caked in tar after driving on the Millaa Millaa-Malanda Road. Photo: Supplied/AAP
The main roads department has been forced to carry out emergency repairs at all three sites, with minister Mark Bailey ordering a full investigation.
More than 60 drivers are seeking compensation after their vehicles wound up covered in tar on the Millaa Millaa-Malanda Road last week.
It's not clear if any damage has resulted from the two highway sites, which the department says have experienced "stripping".
Special equipment has been brought in to repair the Kennedy Highway, near Upper Barron Road, with the work expected to take five days.
Loads of aggregate will also be dumped on compromised road surfaces on the Palmerston Highway, and water trucks are being used at both highway sites to reduce heat.
Repairs are also continuing on the Millaa Millaa-Malanda Road, as the department plans for a permanent solution to the mess. The route is open, but at a reduced speed limit.
Transport and Main Roads district director Sandra Burke last week said recent colder, wet weather followed by a sudden heatwave may have destabilised the road surface.
Bridget Daley's car ended up coated in tar when she used the Millaa Millaa- Malanda Road.
"It was like we were insects caught in a spider's web and we were sinking. There were people that were pulled up on the side of the road and they were in total and complete disbelief as to what had happened to their vehicles," she told ABC.
< www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queens...20180710-p4zqjj.html >

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 9 months ago #194652 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Highway tar lifting (Qld)
Yup
az eye always thort
Queenslanders live to close to the Sun :ohmy:

LOL

cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 9 months ago #194680 by Kwakatriple
I am curious about what they use up there to make their roads with. We had this happen in the same area many years ago. Climbing a hill in our Bedford bus motorhome and it seemed to be losing power, had to change down much more than the hill looked. Got to the top and pulled over only to find bitumen wrapped around the drive tyres so they were about 2 inches bigger than they should be (hence increasing our gearing...). Sure it was a warm day but not stupid hot. Now at home most years we get temperatures in the high 40s and often a few days into the 50s and yet our bitumen only gets a bit soft - certainly doesn't pick up on tyres. While Queensland gets very humid I don't believe the Atherton Table lands gets anywhere near 50 degrees so there must be a difference in what they use to make their roads!

1964 Bedford bus/motorhome
1972 Bedford bus/motorhome
...and sundry other 2, 3 and 4 wheel vehicles...

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #194682 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Highway tar lifting (Qld)
I wonder if they've used butumen and stones instead of asphalt.

Jarrod.

โ€œI offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about themโ€

โ€• Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by asw120.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194685 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Highway tar lifting (Qld)
No hotmix in a lot of places..........in Ipswich they also use spray and spread........this is what killed Bobby Addison........the round pebbles rolled into his concrete driveway,and he slipped over on them,hitting his head..........next day,he lost consciousness,and died a day later.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194686 by grumpy
Attachments:

More
5 years 9 months ago #194689 by grumpy
Replied by grumpy on topic Highway tar lifting (Qld)
From memory, the first real hot weather in 1976-1977, the last section of the Eyre Highway, between Penong and the WA Border, had the same problem with the road melting and almost the entire section of road was re-sealed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwakatriple

More
5 years 9 months ago #194695 by Blackduck59
A little birdee pee'd in my ear, good chance it is imported compound designed for colder climates.
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwakatriple

More
5 years 9 months ago #194703 by Travis
Replied by Travis on topic Highway tar lifting (Qld)
We've had a similar issue in tassie believe it or not,
When EDI downer took over our road sealing, part or the emulsion make up is diesel and kerosene, after the hot tar hits the ground the kero evaporates and it sets, in a bid to save money they use less kero and more diesel, then when you get a hot day it liquefies again due to the high diesel percentage,
Pretty annoying when it's sprayed up the side of your stainless tanker!
Trav.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194705 by busman
Replied by busman on topic Highway tar lifting (Qld)
This happened in Bridges Rd where the farm is a few years ago. They were resurfacing the street and it started raining, stop and come back another day ? No way lets get 'er done !
Next day exact same thing happened, many cars damaged and they came back and ripped it all up and had another go. Ejits in my opinion. I don't know a lot about road resurfacing but I do know you should not be laying hotmix onto cold wet base. DOH !

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

Time to create page: 0.514 seconds