4 months 3 weeks ago #250840 by Mrsmackpaul
Didn't think any were brass, most likely die cast

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #250842 by Lang
Mack Bulldog Ornament History October 1932 - The Mack Bulldog radiator cap ornament was patented. It was released as Part Number 4BF26. December 1937 - The Bulldog was redrawn and the part number was changed to 27RU217. This was a chrome-plated zinc die casting. December 1941 - The finish was changed to a painted, #775R Mack Gray finish. September 1944 - The finish reverted back to the chrome-plating as before the war. September 1947 - The part number was raised to 217RU217A. The reason for this was that the attaching studs were changed to cast-in female threaded brass fasteners. Under this part number, the P1 version was chrome-plated. June 1967 - A 14 karat gold-plated version was added under the 217RU217A P2 release. June 1968 - The gold plating was replaced with a 14 karat gold alloy. December 1979 - The part number was raised to 217RU217B as the ornament was redesigned to have more ergonomically friendly contours, with shorter ears and tail. Besides being the handsome Mascot, the Bulldog served as a handle to tilt the hood on conventional models and a hand hold on cab-over-engine models for windshield washing. The P1 part was again chrome plated while the P2 finish was “gold flash.” March 1986 - The patent number 87931 was replaced with the registered Trademark number 1,387,477. As Mack is a custom truck builder, there are more than likely a few exceptions. Topics being researched Unknown Time Frame- Rumors of brass Bulldogs, we have found no documentation to verify this variation. 1993 – 2014 Gold Bulldogs, plated or polished, available as an unpublished option. Origin of this variation appears to be Mack promotional models, perhaps starting with the CH or CL Elite. Please reference the Bulldog Color PDF for reference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis, Brocky45, PDU, oliver1950

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #250846 by Brocky45
In addition to Lang's info the Gold bulldogs indicated a complete Mack drive line and the Chrome one indicated an outside component vendor. I am not sure when this started or if it is still in effect???
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #250848 by Dave_64
Seems to be quite a bit of ongoing confusion especially re the silver/ gold bonnet mascots came out in the 60's-70's.
I had always been led to believe that the silver dogs were depicting the 'Thermodyne' engines and the gold were signifying the 'Maxidyne' engines, all genuine in-house Mack products.
I'm yet to see, hear or read anything to the contrary, but I have been known to live in my own little secluded world!
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #250853 by roKWiz

Didn't think any were brass, most likely die cast

Paul
Mine appears to be brass like. No patent number on it like a chrome one I have. Similar to the pictured one only dull gold. MACK imprinted on the collar and side buckle. 

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #250854 by Lang
i forgot we had a whole thread on this only a few months back.

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/truck_Chat/21357-t...ament-identification

Last edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, roKWiz

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #250856 by wee-allis
I'm no expert, but by the look of the "seam" lines on it, I'd venture to say someone has made a mould and cast your little doggy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #250890 by roKWiz
There's a seam ??? Where ??

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #250891 by wee-allis
From it's left eye to the tip of it's ear, from the base of it's head, through the collar and down to through it's leg. Another up it's chin and across the teeth.

I used to make moulds in another life and you get to know where the break lines need to be to allow the mould to be released. That mould would have been in many pieces.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #250892 by Gryphon
Hi,

merged this discussion from nothing but Mack Pix thread......

Terry

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds