Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26621 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Gal Steel
As far aws I know it'll be right, though when you dip things, they don't allways come out as straight as before.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26622 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Gal Steel

Big C
GuddaYM8
Thanx for the prompt reply
me next project is add n a bit in the deck of a float
can get sum preluvd beams xactly wot eye need but tiz gal
hence the Q:?

Re:when you dip things, they don't allways come out as straight as before

R U talkn bout steel
OR
B Tween the sheetz
LOL
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26623 by bigcam
Should be all right Swishy, your better off welding Gal with a stick welder or flux core mig (mag). The normal mig with the gas is horrible to use on it.

14 years 2 weeks ago #26624 by
Replied by on topic Re: Gal Steel
Swish - It depends on the steel grade. If the steel is high tensile steel, with a high carbon content, its strength may be affected by the heating involved in galvanising.
My old man worked in a galvanising works for several years, and I seem to recall that the galvanising bath runs at around 800 or 900

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26625 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Gal Steel
Swisho,

If your preloved steel is 20 years old or so it will probibly be the old 250mpa stuff in which case galvanizing has minimal (0.006%) to no effect on the steel properties or strength.
As Onetrack says though be carefull with some of the modern steels as it can have quiet an effect on the 450mpa structural steels.
Unfortunatly there isnt any real way to tell the difference between the two without doing what they call a sharpy hardness test which isnt practical for what your doing.
Instinct is your best guage.....if you are enhancing not replacing main structural members then common sense and your experience will guide you.
Crap to weld though.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #26626 by
Replied by on topic Re: Gal Steel
Interesting article here from a steel crowd grumbling about the wide variance in the quality of imported steel (and they'd be talking China here).
Local steel quality level is pretty rigidly enforced as to impurities content, and silicon and phosphorous are two nasties that have to be held down to low levels to ensure good steel quality. Local steel is also manufactured to meet Australian Standards, unlike many imported steels.

I remember Greg Allison, Drakes G.M., telling me that they used high tensile Jap steel (Nippon Steel) in the floats, because it was higher quality than locally made steel, and the surface finish was pretty much scale-free, unlike BHP steel that was pretty scabby. Greg said that Drakes had too many problems with paint coming off when they used BHP steel, and the Jap HT steel not only saved a lot of weight when they built a float, but the paint went on, and stayed on.

www.scottmetals.com.au/auststeel.html

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26627 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Gal Steel
We had an interesting experience here recently with some structural steel supplied with an Australian standard number quoted on the paperwork. Dimensionally this steel was all over the place ie the flange width varied 5 mm. This I thought suss so I had our purchasing people look into it some more and the Aus standard number quoted was actually a standard for the importation of steel. Nothing at all to do with the quality of the product....Bit more digging and found it came from India.
Steel came from one of the bigger national steel suppliers.
Beware when buying stuff.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26628 by bigcam
A lot of the chinese stuff is better quality than the aussie stuff, though there is some that is worse. Steel is made all over the world, I must admit I havn't seen any Indian stuff though. The Aussie quenched and tempered plate is not flat, and has heaps of mill scale, we, a long with just about everybody else have been using Hardox from SSAB, Swedish Steels. Hardox is just a trade name the same as bisalloy, for quenched and tempered plate. Hardox is quite clean, like the Jap stuff, which I think is called bis 80. The Australian channels and angles arn't very good quality to a lot of the imported stuff. The price of steel in Australia is also held at an inflated price, just to make it easy for us to compete is suppose.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26629 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Gal Steel

Thanx guys for your input

Big C
Dunno ifn my wize crack went thru 2 the keeper or not
LOL
Re:when you dip things, they don't allways come out as straight as before