Skip to main content

NT Roads ?

More
14 years 5 days ago #28466 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: NT Roads ?
My Brother-in-law is currently touring around Aust with a caravan.

He is rather careful and not a high speed traveller - and uses a hand held UHF CB radio to handle the truck traffic.

Just last week he was travelling with another caravaner - and he was in the lead. His travelling partner reported (via the UHF - CH40) that an RT was approcahing from behind.

They confered - and discussed slowing and moving over to let the RT passed.

To their suprise - the RT driver came on - and talked his way past them - with things like - "thats slow enough and you're far enough off for me to come around".

A practice I've used many many times on narrow roads with oncoming RT traffic is - to move over and tell em (via radio) to 'hook in'. That way - they know and you know whats happening.

So - like others have already said/recommended - take a hand held UHF set on CH40 or scan.

Oldfulla

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 days ago #28467 by PhilD
Replied by PhilD on topic Re: NT Roads ?
Well thanks heaps everyone for the input.
I have a 40ch radio I was planning to put in the UD but she won't be on the road by then so will put it in Jessie for the trip.
Got to get working on the gypsy van back for her or I won't have anywhere to stay.
Absolutely no accomodation available anywhere near the Alice at that time.
Not even somewhere for a quick shower.

Want to be in the shed covered in grease and muck - want a Rum ?

14 years 4 days ago #28468 by
Replied by on topic Re: NT Roads ?
Phil

Is this what you are looking at for the back of JESSIE.

Trevor

More
14 years 4 days ago #28469 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: NT Roads ?
Just a thought if your fanging down the highway at 1/2 to 2/3's the speed of a lot of things that wiegh 20 times what your driving, we've been fitting these LED hazard lights available from a couple of different suppliers, and the same as what you see on council trucks etc on a lot of tilt trays lately. They are surprisingly cheap, my price is about $80 each, but if someone sees them, they automatically think slow down. If you would like some, and want more details, PM me. The things are bright, you can see them for yonks in full daylight, and they've got enough different flash patterns to turn a Japanese school kid epileptic. ( refering to a certain couple of Japanese cartoons)

14 years 4 days ago #28470 by
Replied by on topic Re: NT Roads ?
Phil I will put my 2 bobs worth in here having done just over 34000 miles in my 34 Bedford @ 70 K's per hour and have traveled a lot of that on my own on dirt ,mud,snow and tar roads there are 3 things I do all the time and have had safe trips so far.
Keep an eye on the mirror and know whats behind at all times .
NEVER travel at night in the outback if you do you will get caught by a animal or a big truck its just not worth it mate and I have done it and it's hard on the nerves.
Pull right over into the verge and give everyone a chane to get pass and carry a UHF and then you can tell a truckie what your doing they love you for tthe info best luck . Dave

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds