Skip to main content

N.T. buses

13 years 4 months ago #45395 by
Replied by on topic Re: N.T. buses
There is a technical distinction under British law, but not in other countries. In Britain, it's a coach if it carries more than 16 passengers, weighs more than 7.5 tonnes, and can travel at 100kmh or more.

A bus is generally regarded as a vehicle that travels a set street route in a high population density area, with frequent stops .. whereas a coach usually travels a set hwy route, and travels long distances, with infrequent stops.

However, I would say the only true distinction, is that a bus is licenced/registered for standing passengers, and a coach is not. Do I get the cigar, Greenie? .. :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 4 months ago #45396 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: N.T. buses

Juan Trak
Gudday M8
U dun good googleize n the Q:?
but U forgot to S,C,P this bit

A coach has driver controls forward of the front axel like a greyhound. A bus has driver controls behind the forward axel like a school bus with a nose. That is the definition difference.

LOL

A bus or coach is like drive n with lotsa back seat driverz of mothinlaws

Next Q:?

LOL
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 4 months ago #45397 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: N.T. buses
It's easy Greenie, A bus is for the around town clowns, it's got pretty average seats, and is driven by a "Bus Driver"
A coach has Flash seats, and is driven by a "Coach Captain". The easiest way to tell a "Coach Captain" from a "Bus Driver", is to cal the "Coach Captain" a "Bus Driver", and all the differences can then be easily noted.

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #45398 by
Swish - I didn't swipe copy and paste anything. Those words are mine and mine alone, after reading up on people opinions and advice.
You will not be able to find those exact sentences anywhere else on the 'net .. except here .. :D
The few times where I do, S, C & P .. I put the statement in quotation marks, as one should do.

I didn't S, C & P the "axle" opinion, because that statement is just pure BS.
It doesn't matter one iota where the front axle is positioned, or where the driver is positioned in relation to the front axle. Typical, unknowledgeable, internet know-all.

I must say I do like the old blokes interpretation .. "A bus is where the s**thouse is up the front, at the wheel .. a coach has the s**thouse down the back .. " ;D ;D

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #45399 by
The terms "bus" and "coach" go way, way back, and in part, helped to define todays definitions.

A "coach" in the horse days was an enclosed carriage, whereby passengers travelled in relative comfort, for long distances, on padded seats, and out of most of the dust and rain (well, they had some horsehair in the seats, that passed for padding! ;D ).

The origin of the word "coach" is rather interesting, and its origin is described well on the following webpage ..

wiki.answers.com/Q/The_origin_of_the_word_coach

"Bus" is a shortened term of "omnibus", the original word for the first buses, which were horsedrawn. Horsedrawn omnibuses appeared in the big cities in Britain, Europe and the U.S. in the early 1800's.

The word "omnibus" comes from the Latin "omnis", which means "all", or "everything" .. and "bus" has its origin in, "to move or transport".

The first use of the word "omnibus" in the English language in the early 1800's, is attributed to the earlier French term, "voiture omnibus" .. "a carriage for everyone".
The worlds first horse-drawn omnibus appears to have operated in Paris, from 1819.

By this description, there was a distinction between the omnibus, as a cheap method of transport for the masses .. as compared to enclosed carriages or coaches, which were seen as luxury travel for the well heeled .. and which generally offered better seating, and better protection from the elements.

The term "omnibus" was also supplemented by the words "autobus" and "charabanc" (a word directly from the French), when motorised buses first appeared.
However, these words fell out of favour, to be replaced by the simple abbreviated word, "bus", as the general term.

Here's an interesting webpage (below) on Londons buses, right from the earliest ones .. it appears that early buses were real money spinners, unlike todays buses ..
It appears that the first London omnibuses offered more of a coach-style form of transportation, than later omnibuses.
It's reported that conductors on Londons first buses wore blue uniforms, that all passengers were seated in an enclosed area, and that free daily newspapers were on offer to passengers!

knowledgeoflondon.com/buses.html

More
13 years 4 months ago #45400 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: N.T. buses
Think I better answer this lot to stop these two " turkeys arguing ", or maybe coming to blows, eh.

Righto, the closest was "onetrack" in his second last posting.

I was doing a bit of moonlighting for Down Under Tours at Petrie, nth of Brisbane, while getting paid by Aussie post, you could get any amount of time of whenever you wanted too, typical government job, eh.

This fella had a few coaches and he used to do extras for Deluxe, so that's where the casual steering wheel attendants came in handy.
The word was to whip an empty to Bundy and take on the overflow from the service coming down from Cairns, which was kind of overbooked.
Service from up north comes in on time, I have a quick word with the steering wheel attendant and he organises a bunch for me.
Take off from Bundy and head south, leave Childers and it's downhill for a good stretch and then out onto the flats, so got this little jigger wound right out, it's just rocking along with a good cushion of air under it smoothing every bump nicely, I reckoned it was doing about a dollar twenty-five or so, just singing along.

A bloke comes down to the front and starts talking to me, he notices that the speedo is sitting on zero, but the tacho is reading about 2100, so he asks me how fast this "BUS" is going.
About a dollar is the answer, then I tell him, it's a COACH Sir, not a BUS, which he then asks me "what's the bloody difference then ?".

Shrug my shoulders and say dunno, he then states this lot.

A COACH has a sh!thouse and a driver, a BUS has got them both combined together, now when this 'effin bus' gettin' into Brisbane.

Told him immediately to 'ef of' and sit down and suffer with the rest of 'em.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

13 years 4 months ago #45401 by
Buses ...Coaches ?

My 50p worth...

Buses ... You pay the driver

Coaches ... You Pre-pay

Simples :)

Cheers
RS :)

More
13 years 4 months ago #45402 by ronhorse
Replied by ronhorse on topic Re: N.T. buses
Greenie, good question, Len tuit always corrected me if I said "bus", insisted it was not a bus but a "Coach" never explained the difference, glad the pitures were a success, every one of us has ridden a bus at one time or another, usually an event in our lives, adds a human touch.

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
13 years 4 months ago #45403 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: N.T. buses

The word "omnibus" comes from the Latin "omnis", which means "all", or "everything" .. and "bus" has its origin in, "to move or transport".

Not quite correct, One Track. The word "omnibus" is a Latin word in itself, and means "for everybody", which was the purpose of omnibuses. I didn't Google this either, I did Latin at school for five years a very long time ago. :) :) :)

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #45404 by
Vic - Good onya for the correction .. you're our resident Latin expert, now! I guess I didn't go to the right school or church!? .. ;D ;D

However, this site says we could both be right, depending on whether the word is singular, plural, masculine, feminine, dative, ablative, accusative, vocative, genitive, or nominative! .. :D :D

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/omnis

MOTOR BUS

What is this that roareth thus?
Can it be a Motor Bus?
Yes, the smell and hideous hum
Indicat Motorem Bum!
Implet in the Corn and High
Terror me Motoris Bi:
Bo Motori clamitabo
Ne Motore caedar a Bo--
Dative be or Ablative
So thou only let us live: