Skip to main content

Marine engines

More
13 years 1 month ago #48233 by ronhorse
Marine engines was created by ronhorse

Sorry swishy to blow your Detroits out of the water but know when you see this beautiful set up you will forever change your mind and mend the error in your pursuit of the perfect power unit ;D

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #48234 by K-TRON
Replied by K-TRON on topic Re: Marine engines
Gardner is different from Gardner Denver right?

A smaller 4 cylinder would be an interesting swap into an over the road truck

Chris

1977 General Motors / Detroit Diesel 6V53T - rebuilt&&320Hp @ 2800rpm

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 1 month ago #48235 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Marine engines

RonOrse
Gudday M8

Gr8 info n pix
keep m cummin

drive n a Gardner powered beast
aint up there as a get up n go performasnce donk
comparin to a screemer
the screemer B a race horse
n the Gardner B a Draught horse runn n on 2 legs
LOL

Make good boat motor
Ifn U not in a hurry
LOL

Az eye've said B 4
2 types of ppl in thiz world
<1> Those th@ own n run a Screeemin GM/Detoit 2 Stoke Diesel
<2> Those th@ wish they did
LOL
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

13 years 1 month ago #48236 by
Replied by on topic Re: Marine engines
K-TRON - Yes, Gardner-Denver is an American company, started by Robert Gardner in 1859, when he devised the first effective and highly successful governor for steam engines.

Gardner-Denver history is outlined in the link below ..

www.gardnerdenver.com/Company/History.aspx

Gardner Engines were British, and the company was known as L. Gardner & Sons. Lawrence Gardner started a sewing machine business around 1868 in Manchester, but he died in 1890.
His sons continued the business as L. Gardner & Sons, and the company went on to produce a fine range of high quality diesels, starting from 1903.

The Gardner diesels were noted for their high quality engineering finish and use of exotic metals in their construction, such as magnesium and aluminium alloys.

In addition Gardner employed a unique and very strong engine design in that the block was in two parts, a lower crankcase section of magnesium alloy, and an upper cylinder section of aluminium alloy.

These two sections were held together by through-bolts, that ran from below the crankshaft centre-line, to the cylinder feet. This design greatly increases the block strength and rigidity.

Steel dry liners were pressed into the upper cylinder block, and the multiple cast-iron heads were in two-cylinder sections.
The crankshaft was formed from nickel-alloy steel, and the forged alloy steel conrods held aluminium pistons.

Gardner were well known for following RR-style practices, in allowing individual, skilled employees to stamp their initials in the major components of engines that they had built.
This technique encouraged great pride in workmanship and continued high levels of quality.

Gardner ceased engine production in the early 1990's, because they failed to adapt to more modern design principles such as higher engine speeds, turbocharging, and other advances in design such as improved fuel injection techniques.
Gardner effectively became stuck in the past, and failed to keep up with modern technology, and the resultant engine design improvements.

Regardless, Gardner engines are regarded as the finest diesels that Britain produced during the period from the Great Depression to the 1960's.
They are admired for their robustness, high torque, long life, and quality of build. Unfortunately, high speed, mass-produced engines, beat them in the end.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Gardner_and_Sons

More
13 years 1 month ago #48237 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Marine engines
Those who own screamers would be spending a lot less on diesel fuel if they had Gardners under the hood. ;) ;)

More
13 years 1 month ago #48238 by ronhorse
Replied by ronhorse on topic Re: Marine engines
ok, ok, OK! I have to concede that the Gardner lacks a lot in the power dept, however, being a slowpoke myself I always knew it would get me to where I wanted to go without any problems, and as atki said, wonderful fuel economy, run on anything with a bit of oil in it! I have used kerosene and engine oil to get me out of a spot. The 4LK in the Packard used about a gallon an hour, my brother got home using just a gallon of engine oil, I believe they made a 6LK, that would have been a sweet engine, smaller and lighter. Thanks onetrack, knew you would enlighten us!!

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
13 years 1 month ago #48239 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: Marine engines
Yes indeed, my old 6LX(B?) in my 1970 Atkinson was a pearler. It used to literally slave it's guts out, Melbourne to Brisbane and back, just floored all the way because it was so gutless! And top speed 80k's, had a joey box fitted, but then it wouldn't pull top gear. The joey box blew up, so back to to standard 5.29 ratio..
I used to marvel at it, you could drive it hour after hour, hot or cold, it would just run like a clock. It never ever stopped or broke down. And do you know, I changed the oil only once, and the I didn't know where the filters were, and Dad said not to worry about them, as it used and leaked so much oil anyway!
So that was all the love it got, for about five years on interstate...
Bloody amazing when I look back at it. Poor old thing.
Damn good motors though! ;D ;D

More
13 years 1 month ago #48240 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Marine engines
Bigger engine room, full headroom, gloss paint, beautiful.
Twin MTU 16V 538 TE82 driving through V drives, around 3000hp per side.

More
13 years 1 month ago #48241 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Marine engines
Smaller engine room, modern glass boat.
Twin MTU 12V 4000 M90 around 2750hp per side.
Conventional shaft drive.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 1 month ago #48242 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Marine engines

JeffO
Gudday M8

Gr8 Pix
Keep m Cummin

Just like all screeemin GM/Detroit 2 stroke Diesels