Skip to main content

Bedfords

More
15 years 5 days ago #8725 by wouldyou
Bedfords was created by wouldyou
This story was submitted by Charlie from Badgingarra in our Tracmach magazine, Dinner hill he described as a three mile straight with about 1 in 4 grade near the top.
Harry Wilkinson was taking a load of unsown bagged oats to the Watheroo bin on a 1954 A model Bedford 5 ton truck. Bedfords with the 214 motors weren't notable in the "go" department and Harry ran out of gears near the top and started to run back downhill. Bedfords weren't exactly notable in the" stop" department either and Harry had no option but to steer it backwards into the gutter and bank whereupon the whole load flew off.
Cheers David

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 days ago #8726 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Bedfords
Cant read the story you are talking about, is it attached ?

More
15 years 5 days ago #8727 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Bedfords
I think the post is the story, Pete. While I don't necessarily agree with the thinly disguised dig at Beddies ( ;)) I have to agree about the 214. I've only driven it unloaded and I've learned to drive without thinking about hills because I'm sure the motor picks up on my vibe!

Wouldn't be surprised if Harry was overloaded though. ;D

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 1 day ago #8728 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Bedfords
My apologies for the above post it was inappropriate for this friendly forum.
Dads Bedford, Bought new in 1936 when I was 5, 15cwt with 17 in wire wheels and the spare on the left mudguard. It would not have had much use during the war years, I dont remember any major work being done on the motor and had 60 odd thou miles on when traded on an AR110 Inter in 1954? It was kept shiny, the motor cleaned up well almost like an enamel finish on the rocker cover. Oil changes would have been regular but the tin can bypass oil filter which Dad would point out as a feature stayed with the vehicle its whole life, I remember soldering a leak it developed from an external rust pit.Enough for now Cheers David

15 years 21 hours ago #8729 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bedfords
Hi David Bedford didnt make a 15cwt but did have a 12cwt with the wire wheels and it was called a BY with a 20 hp motor or BX with a 26.33hp motor and these models sold for about 175 pounds a lot of money in those days .Dave

More
14 years 11 months ago #8730 by wouldyou
Hello Dave, Thanks for info,I will dig out old photos and try to get it on here, also had a bit to do with a 1934? Bedford truck, 700x20 duals on back and semi forward with a bit of the engine back beside you. We put a Southern Cross percussion water boring plant on it. There are over 100 holes on this farm looking for stock water from 10 to 100ft and I reckon this truck saw maybe half of them. David.

14 years 11 months ago #8731 by
Hi David the 1934 will be a WH? will know when i see a pic and the forward control will be most likey a S or a RL models but if it was built in the war time it's a QL .

Both the QL & RL were 4x4 's. Dave

More
14 years 11 months ago #8732 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Bedfords
There were some pre-war 'cabovers' weren't there, Dave? Can't bloody find a pic of it now. One was acquired in very original condition by a private museum in the UK last year.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

14 years 11 months ago #8733 by
I have foung couple in the bible of Bedfords which were made in 1933 and were modify WLG's and this work was done duple .

They moved the cab forwards over the motor to get a extra 2ft on the tray, i dont think any of these got Aussie as they were made as one off's for special orders. Dave

More
14 years 11 months ago #8734 by wouldyou
Hello All, About this truck It was semi forward the engine box came to about level with your knees. Tried to take side off pic, didnt succeed. When boring it needed no Swishy animation, David

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds