Skip to main content

AL110 restoration, the early stages

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #169480 by wombat 46
With an hour to spare before it got dark we got into the brakes,
First up the front ones, now its only when you start these jobs that you never quite expect the unexpected

not sure what insect has done this but it is a work of art, any ideas?
There was not one square millimetre left, access was only through the brake adjuster slot.

The drums are well scoured from sand, while getting bogged in muddy soupy pipe clay or sandy creek crossings, and not cleaning the brakes out

With all if not most parts needing to be replaced it makes a dics brake set up more favourable,
Can anyone suggest an option for the front brakes?

Jim
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by wombat 46. Reason: info

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #169483 by asw120
I have had an ant nest completely fill my water meter box....
I would get the drums measured before giving up on them.
Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 1 week ago #169521 by wombat 46
Just checking in to see if anyone has any ideas on the engine and box mounts,
Jim

More
8 years 1 week ago #169524 by wombat 46
I pulled the harmonic balancer pulley off the old 220 diamond ute motor and it is noticeably smaller in size and weight than the one off the 262 which came out of a larger truck

Can i swap these over or are they balanced to the crank?
Jim
Attachments:

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #169526 by IHScout
If you have a look at Bparo's post re engine changeover in his AR160, www.hcvc.com.au/forum/restore/13621-my-p...eart-attack?start=40 you'll see he talks about shaping the harmonic balancers over there, so it must be doable.

Dennis
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by IHScout.

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #169534 by bparo
all we did was swap the balancer of the old motor onto the new one so the fan belt came forward enough to miss the original mounts we used.

The 281 motor we put in was originally mounted underneath at the side and the old silver diamond had a mount that went across the front of the block. When we had the two motors out side by side we noticed threaded holes in the 281 where the old 240 silver diamond engine mounts went. We tried the old engine mount on the 281 and it bolted straight in. Putting the motor into the chassis and all the original mounts lined up. The only issue was the 281 harmonic balancer lined the fan belt up with the mounts. The 2 balancers were sitting on the workbench side by side and it was thought we would need to make a spacer to pull the balancer forward. I picked up the old one and it sat further forward so we used it.

The motors only one just over 1000 miles since but isn't showing any signs of it being an issue. It completed Crawlin after being driven 200 km to the start line and 240km home without missing a beat

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by bparo. Reason: fixed typos

More
8 years 1 week ago #169554 by asw120
I've got an early balancer/pulley on the 281 in the ASW. 10,000+ miles and no problems. I just used all the early pulleys.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 1 week ago #169606 by wombat 46
Thank you for all the helpful advise, i will swap over the pulleys.
any ideas on the rubber engine mounts?
also in need of the original heat gasket that goes between the intake and exhaust manifolds
Jim

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #169739 by wombat 46
Had to clear the bench this arvo so it was time to have a crack at getting the starter going,
a few cuts around the outer rim with the dremel so i could get it opened up

This is what i found inside, and i was somewhat releaved as i could carry out a repair without any parts needed,

The contacts had been hot and melted some copper into a small ball reducing the contact size alot.

I was able to file the contacts down again to remove the damage

The copper washer on the pin was changable from side to side so that was easier than dissassembly and swapping it over

once i had the contacts down flat again i carefully put it back together again,

I have crimped the metal over again and tested it on the floor and it works as it should turning and throwing out
I have not put it under load yet but am confident it will work well
Thanks again for all your suggestions and input
I have checked the brushes and they still have some meat left on them that is good
Jim
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by wombat 46. Reason: info

More
8 years 1 week ago #169741 by wombat 46
The last pic,
The contact after filing down

Jim
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.581 seconds