Skip to main content

AL110 restoration, the early stages

More
8 years 1 month ago #168560 by Old Yella
Many moons ago I used to deal with a mob called Nowra Truck and Tractor, fairly local to Canberra, always came up with what I needed for my old Inters plus were a wealth of info...but as stated, it was a while ago. Cheers, Paul.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #168587 by wombat 46
Happy Easter to all!
Thank you to all the great suggestions,
I double checked the battery and leads and they seem fine, i use them quite a bit for other jobs.

I had a few minutes this arvo to tinker a bit more,
with some more developments, the starter is the problem. it has been sitting in the weather for many years and on first closer inspection had a build up of rust and crud on the contacts, i cleaned that and them went deeper.
The brushes are free but may be a bit short, they measure about 10-11mm long, i am guessing they are about 14-16mm when new, they seem to be free. a couple where dull or gummed from condensation from sitting i am guessing so i took some 400 grit paper and gave them a polish up.
I gave it a spin on the ground to re-bed the contacts
After reassembly the starter jumped into action and turned over much better, good enough that i got her to fire and fire again, so all seems good there, currently there is no carbie on the manifold so i used a splash of petrol and some aero start.
But a problem still exists with the starter from sitting around and the contacts in the solenoid are dirty or gummed up too.
some times it jumps into gear and them after a very brief start stop turning, other times it jumps turns and then drop dead off.

any tips on where to look first,
also the rear main is leaking, can this take up after some use, or do i just swap it out now.
Jim
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by wombat 46. Reason: info

More
8 years 1 month ago #168590 by asw120
Glad to hear of some progress. I am going to assume a Lucas M45 starter here (all the AR and later I've pulled apart have until the 70's?)

I've had the solenoid contacts work at first and then quit due to corrosion. Some of these have a rolled edge and may not come apart, but if yours is square where it goes together and has 4 rivets, you can drill them out and replace them with screws and nuts later. The contacts are straightforward to clean. File the two fixed contacts and you may be able to flip the bridging piece (big copper washer? I forget the shape just now) over and use the other side after cleaning it. I've never had any further trouble with mine in about 10,000 miles.

I don't fancy your chances with the rear main seal, but perhaps give it a while once you get the carby and such sorted. Mine leaked a bit when I got this motor and has neither improved, nor gotten worse.

Best of luck.
Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: wombat 46

More
8 years 1 month ago #168667 by wombat 46
Jarrod,
Thank you for the advise,
I will get it open up as soon as i can.
Some pics of my starter

This one is the corroded contact

Jim
Attachments:

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #168703 by asw120
That's a later type of starter and better for it. The brushes do look a bit short, but so long as the springs aren't bottomed out in the holders, should work fine.
The only contacts in there are inside the solenoid. You will probably have to unsolder a couple of wires to get the bakelite cap off (where the two big nuts are for the battery lead and the lead into the starter) Those contacts can become corroded through sitting, or burned through lots of use. They are your most likely source of trouble.
Not sure if that's a Bosch, or Lucas, but complete Bosch solenoids were still readily available for about $30 within the last several years.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #168705 by Mrsmackpaul
the solenoid that Jarrod mentions is the small can shaped thing on top of your starter with the two copper studs on the end and the contacts are in there

the doohickys you have pulled pulled out in your photo are with your finger and thumb holding are the brushes Jarrod is talking about

not been a smart ass just unsure if you new what Jarrod was talking about ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #168719 by wombat 46
Thanks Guys, that makes perfect sense, it is a lucus starter.
I am away for a few days so will get inside it next week and there is a good auto elect wholesaler here in town so i am confident on getting the parts i need.
I have just put the side on the shed today so the motor can stay dry if it rains
Have a good weekend
Jim

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #168922 by wombat 46
Not sure i have got to the bottom of the starter issue yet,
I have taken it apart again and the brushes are still making good enough contact and the springs are still in tension and clear of fouling.
I had a look further into the solenoid and can not see how to open it up

At this stage i will look into getting a replacement solenoid
any advise welcome
Jim
Attachments:

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #168924 by Mrsmackpaul
were you see it crimped over around the out side on the last photo would have to be uncrimped I would think that type really isnt a serviceable item depending on your skill level as to the end result you would get I would think
A new solenoid wouldnt cost very much but dont know have never priced one

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #168925 by wombat 46

Mrsmackpaul wrote: were you see it crimped over around the out side on the last photo would have to be uncrimped I would think that type really isnt a serviceable item depending on your skill level as to the end result you would get I would think
A new solenoid wouldnt cost very much but dont know have never priced one

Paul

Thanks Paul,
I will go and try to get one tomorrow
The steel is quite thick and the plastic or bakelite will likely break i reackon
Jim
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by wombat 46. Reason: typo

Time to create page: 0.596 seconds