Skip to main content

AL110 restoration, the early stages

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #168930 by asw120
I'd agree that that one does not appear to be dismantleable. The Bosch ones I've worked on do come apart.
I hope you can still get a new one for your Lucas. Several do show up and appear to be new on ebay.
Any decent auto elec should be able to sort you out. Holden were still using Lucas at least into the 80's.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #168931 by wombat 46

asw120 wrote: I'd agree that that one does not appear to be dismantleable. The Bosch ones I've worked on do come apart.
I hope you can still get a new one for your Lucas. Several do show up and appear to be new on ebay.
Any decent auto elec should be able to sort you out. Holden were still using Lucas at least into the 80's.

Jarrod.

Jarrod,
The part you are talking about to remove and clean the contacts on, is inside the solenoid by the sounds of it.
is that right?
As you can see i have cleaned all the nuts and washers as they where very rusty and corroded too.
Jim

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #168943 by asw120
Yes, that's right. The contacts are inside. The other ends of the studs are the contacts and there is a bridging piece which joins them together when the solenoid operates. Cleaning all the parts you did is essential and will cure many apparently dead batteries and starters!

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #169017 by wombat 46
Not good news, the solenoid seems to be very hard to find,
I have been to the main whole saler and the old school aut elec in town with no luck,
Think the starter dates to '64.
The model is a lucas M45 but the early type apparently,
i will have to try to get inside it
at this stage i plan to do some small cuts with the dremel around the metal which is rolled over and try to fold or pry it back so i can remove the bakelite cap,
any suggestions welcome

Jim
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by wombat 46. Reason: info

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169019 by Mrsmackpaul
did you search Google because I just typed in M45 and there is old and new types on ebay

www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-...w:l&tbm=shop&start=0

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 1 week ago #169302 by wombat 46

Mrsmackpaul wrote: did you search Google because I just typed in M45 and there is old and new types on ebay

www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-...w:l&tbm=shop&start=0

Paul

Hi Paul,
I have not yet had time to look inside the solenoid,
Can you point out the old vs new types, it is not clear to me the difference?
Many thanks
Jim

More
8 years 1 week ago #169307 by Mrsmackpaul
to my untrained eye there is to distinct types

ones the bolt on with a flange

and others that bolt up with two studs thru the starter housing

or at least thats what it looks like to me

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wombat 46

More
8 years 1 week ago #169385 by wombat 46
Thanks Paul,
Yes the one with the studs is similar, but there must be two variations of it,
I think i will buy one and see if i can get it to mount up.
Thanks again
Jim

More
8 years 5 days ago #169478 by wombat 46
I have been super busy with work so that has slowed progress, I have also had to sit the starter aside for a while until i have a real good look to see i i can find another one some where.
back to the engine a chassis
A mate came over yesterday which was great and we started to change over the motor parts to suit the ute and also pulled open the brakes,
The original ute motor was quite a challenge as we had to remove the bellhousing and to do that the flywheel has to be taken off. As the motor had been sitting open for over twenty years the cam was rusted seized in the journals so we could not turn the motor to undo the bolts.
after some thinking we removed the timing cover took off the bearing caps and this allowed the crank to drop at the front off the timing gear.

I will need to chase up some engine mounts, can anyone suggest some suppliers,

The gearbox mounts looks to be a rubber block

Now after all these years the story unfolds, i can now see why the old farmer started the motor rebuild all those years back, the clutch had given up, was oil soaked and past the rivets

The flywheel off the ute motor, even pouring sand into the belhousing cover would not get another day our of this one, she is Busted!
Jim
Attachments:

More
8 years 5 days ago - 8 years 5 days ago #169479 by wombat 46
Some more pics of the old clutch

Pressure plate

Driven plate see the rivets well worn

Just got enough clearance to turn the crank and undo the flywheel bolts

Jim
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 5 days ago by wombat 46. Reason: added info