Skip to main content

Lights On The Hill - Slim Dusty

More
13 years 5 months ago #39066 by Inta ACCOs
G'Day fellas,

It's been a while... apart from trucks (and the missus and the kids of course) my other great interest is music. I only found out recently that Australia's great truckin' anthem was not written by Slim but his wife Joy. I've decided to record a version of it and I've put it up on YouTube. Tell me whatya think...

Cheers, Joe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #39067 by greenie
Hhhmmmm, my thoughts only on this lot, are you ready for it ?

Think you better leave it to Slim, he done a MUCH better job of it !

What Pi$$E$ me off, is that dumb yank drawl your trying to do, for CHRI$TS sake, it's an Aussie song thru and thru. >:(

Other opinions will differ from mine, but that's life, eh. ::)

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
13 years 5 months ago #39068 by Assessor
Brutally honest ;D ;D ;D

More
13 years 5 months ago #39069 by Inta ACCOs
G'day Greenie (in my best 'Ostralian accent),

OUCH! Not liking it is one thing but PISSING you off is another. The only thing I could do after reading your post is laugh... I recorded one of my own songs in a similar style last year and got criticised in America for sounding too Australian or "British".

I love Slim but I'm a rock n' roll guy and I can't see the point simply trying to imitate him.

I appreciate your honesty though.

Cheers,
Joe

More
13 years 4 months ago #39070 by tim
Inta ACCO'S, G'day Mate, yeah, was'nt real fussed with your version, too much emphasis on the word "me" for my liking, but that's only my feeling. I thank you for putting it on the forum though. Through listening to you I wandered off into Youtube & found Slim's "Old Dingo" I had never heard it before, but I love it. I like getting out into the out back & laying out there looking at the night skys, stars, stillness. All good. Thanks Mate, cheers Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
13 years 4 months ago #39071 by Inta ACCOs
Thanks for your comments Tim,

I doubt that I'll ever post anything like this on a site that probably has a lot of genuine Slim/country music fans! Again, I come from a rock background and if I can put someone onto this song who otherwise normally has a prejudice against "old-timer country-music" then I'll be happy.

I'll have to check out the "Old Dingoe" clip. Slim is certainly well known but I also think it's a bit a of tradegy that very people know who artists like Tex Morton and Buddy Williams are in Australia.

Cheers,
Joe

More
13 years 4 months ago #39072 by bigcam
Joe, you did ask them to let you know what they thought, a dangerous question to anyone over 40 I would have thought. LOL.

13 years 4 months ago #39073 by
Heres my 2 bob worth I hope you paided the royalties for using the song .

But how about singing one of your own and leave alone the great Aussie talents .

That song isn't meant to be rock up like that . Dave

More
13 years 4 months ago #39074 by bigcam
I reckon you want to send Greenie a Christmas card mate, I wouldn't have bothered to have a listen except for the feedback, no offence, I gotta agree with the others though, it's a bit upbeat for that particular song (bearing in mind I only know what I like, and SFA apart from that about music). Have you heard the "Not So Dusty" tribute album, that was put out when Slim was still about? Mental as Anything did a great version of Lights on the Hill on that, Screaming Jets did a ripper of Cunnamulla Fella as well. I used to sing those songs and Burning Ring of Fire etc to my kids when they where little and going to bed. They can all probobly tell you the words to Burning Ring of Fire and Cunnamulla Fella I reckon. Good on you for sharing it anyway, it sounds pretty professional to me, even though it isn't quite my cup of tea, not that I drink tea.

More
13 years 4 months ago #39075 by mammoth
I don't mind you puttn a rockn version of a country song, but listen to the words of this one - it's about life and death while trying to earn a living, which is why a lot of old truckies relate to it so much and why it is used as a iconic memorial for those who didn't make it. As such it deserves considerate treatment.

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds