Skip to main content

Todays WOTIZZIT?

• Topic Author
13 years 1 month ago #47687 by
Todays WOTIZZIT? was created by
O.K., everyone .. here's todays test of your ID ability. This was the first truck produced by its maker, and it was produced by a railway carriage maker in a European country.
It was that particular European countrys first truck.

What is the make, what year, and what country?

HINT - The name is now only barely known, and the company combined with another truck builder in 1911, to form a company that is well known, today.

ANOTHER HINT - The truck came from this factory (pictured in 1895) .. and this particular factory burnt to the ground in 1913.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #47688 by hoarder1
Replied by hoarder1 on topic Re: Todays WOTIZZIT?
I'm pretty confident that I know the answer, but I won't ruin the fun so early in the game. Good competition onetrack, but you forgot the final two-part question- "What is the driver carting in the bags, and how far down the road did he get before he was fined for an unsecured load?"

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by hoarder1.

More
13 years 1 month ago #47689 by brisbeddy
Replied by brisbeddy on topic Re: Todays WOTIZZIT?
Dunno about the Truck etc. but I guess he's carting Potato Sacks

It sucks to get old and decrepit !

More
13 years 1 month ago #47690 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: Todays WOTIZZIT?
im still trying to work out is it left hand drive or RHD lol
does the driver speak deutsch ?

• Topic Author
13 years 1 month ago #47691 by
Replied by on topic Re: Todays WOTIZZIT?
Hi Ron, itsa Vabis, became Scania-Vabis in 1911.

More
13 years 1 month ago #47692 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Todays WOTIZZIT?

Dunno about the Truck etc. but I guess he's carting Potato Sacks

The impression on the bag looks a bit long for spuds??
No idea on the make of truck. :D

Trust me

• Topic Author
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #47693 by

Good competition onetrack, but you forgot the final two-part question- "What is the driver carting in the bags, and how far down the road did he get before he was fined for an unsecured load?"

LOL! - Good one, hoarder1! ;D ;D

I'd say load security was well down his list of possible problems in those days .. and just keeping the new-fangled thing running, for long enough to deliver his load, would have been his main problem! :D

jmackb gets the virtual bottle of Bundy .. with a couple of swigs missing, because he missed the date! :D
A 1902 Vabis it is .. and yes, Scania and Vabis merged in 1911 to form the company that was still called Scania-Vabis AB, up until 1969, when Scania-Vabis merged with SAAB to form SAAB-Scania AB.
SAAB and Scania separated in 1995, and Scania is now simply Scania AB.

One can only guess what's in the bags. I'd hazard a guess it might be root vegetables .. but it could also be coal, too.

Some more interesting facts ..

Vabis was a railway carriage manufacturer, before turning to making trucks (and yes, that's the Vagnfabriks Aktie Bolaget i Sodertelge [or Suedertalje, or Sodertalje, in other Scandinavian languages], in the pic) .. roughly translated, Wagon Manufacturer of the Share Company of Sodertelge (town) ..
Scania was a bicycle manufacturer .. then a motor car manufacturer (1903) .. before it became a truck manufacturer (1905).
Scania cars were built until 1929, when Scania-Vabis moved into 100% truck production.

O.K. .. some more trivia on Scania ..

1. Scania was running pneumatic tyres on their trucks in 1919, making them one of the first truck manufacturers to do so ..
2. Scania had hydraulic tipper bodies in 1928 .. thus making them among the earliest users of hydraulic tipping ..
3. Scania built a military tank to their own design in 1942-43 and supplied same to the Swedish Defence Forces ..
4. VW owns 46% of Scania, with 71% of the votes .. and MAN own 13%, with 17% of the votes .. the remainder of Scania shares are held mostly by Swedish institutions ..
5. VW is seeking to merge Scania and MAN into a single truck/bus builder. A combined Scania and MAN would be bigger than either Volvo or Daimler (Mercedes) in truck/bus production numbers.

Excellent photo gallery of Scania and Vabis from the 1890's to 2000, below ..

toolkitstatic.scania.com/millennium/archive/index.html

The Vabis Sodertelge factory .. just smoking ruins after the disastrous 1913 fire, that totally destroyed the factory ..

(all pics courtesy of the Scania website, photo archive) ..

More
13 years 1 month ago #47694 by BK
I think if you dig a bit deeper, the early Mack motor was based on a scania-vabis.

Trust me

• Topic Author
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #47695 by
BK - The first Mack diesel was introduced in 1938, and it was a completely in-house (all-Mack) design effort. This engine became famous in the Wartime NR series Macks.
This engine used the Lanova-style fuel injection system, and 17,000 of these engines were produced between 1938 and 1950 .. when the "new, highly improved" Mack END-672 engine appeared on the scene.

Scania went into Joint Venture with Mack in 1953, so that Scania could build Mack-based buses in Sweden.

By the mid 1950's, Mack were looking for a better design fuel injection system .. as the Lanova system had inherent problems that could not be overcome, and direct injection was being touted as the greatest improvement in high-speed diesel design.

Scania had been doing intense research on diesel injection and had lodged patents for a new direct injection system that Mack saw, as the next best move for them.

Accordingly, the new Mack diesel of 1957 .. the END-673 .. used an all-new fuel system and combustion chamber design, that owed its design, directly to Scania.

The END-673 boasted a totally new cylinder head, a new combustion chamber design, and direct fuel injection, supplied by an American Bosch, in-line injection pump.

In 1963, Mack produced the END465 & END475 in conjunction with Scania, and it was labelled the Mack-Scania (or Scania-Vabis) END465 or END475, according to power output.
The END 465/475 was actually built by Scania in its entirety, it was the Scania DS8 engine in Sweden.

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 1 month ago #47696 by BK
Thanks Ron, I knew there was a tie-up some where along the line.
I had a 673 T bogie drive, under and over box in the late 60's, the turbo was the size of a 5 gallon drum. ::)

Trust me

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds