Skip to main content

Help with ID of this truck, Studebaker????????

More
12 years 8 months ago #60121 by ute253
G'day blokes! This isn't really a whatzit or whozit but I'm after the considered opinion of other forum members as to what make of truck this is.

Sorry about the quality of the photo but it was taken on max zoom of my little cheapo digital camera on a pissy wet saturday, closest I could get.
Front diff is split vertically and you can just see a bogie rear end under the arse end with single tyres and rims. The dumper body looks just to be sitting on the rails at the front and kicked up at the back sitting on something else.

See what you guys reckon and let me know, thanks in advance

ute253

To me it looks like a 6x6 Studebaker dumper but i do stand to be corrected.

Diamond T P3320 x 2&&Studebaker US6 6x6&&HQ GTS Coupe&&HQ ute&&HG ut

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #60122 by q4016lanz
Hi david it my be a WW2 marmon harrington 6x6 :) ;)

More
12 years 8 months ago #60123 by ute253
thanks John, you could be right on that one, the cab on closer inspection just doesnt seem the have the right curves for a Stude. thanks for the input!!!

More
12 years 8 months ago #60124 by q4016lanz
Hi david have you got a better picture of the truck did it have a side valve V8 in it. :) cheers john

More
12 years 8 months ago #60125 by ute253
G'day John, haven't got a better shot of the 6x6 but I hope to get back to the location soon to get some better shots of it. Also chasing down a HG premier wagon and some other cools stuff in the area so I hope the weather is a bit better this time when I get there. Found a few shots of your dads truck all loaded up with tractors which I'll post soon. Cheers David

More
12 years 8 months ago #60126 by BillyDodge1947
This is a Studbaker 6X6
The Studebakers were actually purchased by Australia rather than being Lend Lease. arrived here in late 44 early 45.
I have pic's but havn't figured how yet.
Bill

More
12 years 8 months ago #60127 by brisbeddy
I thought the Stude 6x6 had duallies on the Back.

It sucks to get old and decrepit !

More
12 years 8 months ago #60128 by BK
It certainly looks like a " studey", they had a fairly modern type cab for their day.

Trust me

More
12 years 8 months ago #60129 by ute253
Thanks for all the help concerning the ID of the truck, it really gets the brains ticking along. I got another picture of a Stude 6x6 for all of you to look at to compare features with.

I think what threw me initially was the chrome/stainless trim around the windscreen on my first photo, I've never seen one with any bright work on one at all. I reckon the position of the clearance lights, the windscreen wiper location and the shape of that left hand door it has to be a Stude.

Thanks guys, knew I could rely on your judgement. David

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #60130 by
There was no chromework whatsoever fitted to any vehicles, or machines, either civilian or military, produced from February 1942 to August 1945. This was because chrome (the metal) was in short supply, and the small supplies available were needed for more critical uses such as strengthened steels, armour, gun barrels, machine tooling, and other uses where chrome was added as a steel ingredient.

So, the bright windscreen surround indicates it has been either modified by replacement or by later chroming. Even if the truck was produced after 1945, no military vehicle that was designed for combat work, ever had any type of glittery finish on any component.
A glittering piece of chromework totally defeated any attempt at camouflage, it would be seen miles away from the air, like someone flashing a mirror.

In my .02c worth of opinion, the truck in the first pic could be a Studey, it could be a GMC, it could be a Chev, it could be a Reo.
All these trucks were built to a basically standardised pattern, apart from front panel modifications that the manufacturer was allowed to change.
The reason for this standardisation was because, at the end of WW1, the Americans did a tally and found they had something like 275 different makes and models of trucks in their military lineup, and the parts supply logistics was a nightmare.

So .. they decided when WW2 kicked off, that they would never again be stuffed around in battle conditions by having 200+ different models of trucks, and parts that weren't interchangeable.
Thus, they came up with the standard military pattern trucks.

Time to create page: 0.589 seconds