Skip to main content

pistons for international

More
9 years 6 months ago #149397 by trucksyd
gday ,i will be redoing my 281 cube ,petrol inter ,& have sourced pistons ,although costing $900 ,,,has anyone fitted other types of pistons to this engine ie:chrysler pistons etc.....thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149398 by asw120
Inters have really weirdly shaped piston crowns, I doubt anything else would fit. Look like Chrysler outboard pistons. Pre-war Chev had something similar, but it was in the cylinder head instead of the piston.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 6 months ago #149399 by kenny-mopar
You done well on price it would of cost (or should I say lost? )me 1650 for a set of V8 inter factory pistons ( trade price ) without rings 20 years ago ... Maybe ask on the American inter (red power forums) if there are aftermarket pistons avail or do a thorough Google search

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #149400 by Dodge fan
Have you tried JP pistons Jarrod?
Billy 8-)

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Dodge fan.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149401 by asw120

Have you tried JP pistons Jarrod?
Billy 8-)

Wasn't for me, Dodge, it was for Trucksyd.

Cheers, Jarrod :)

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 6 months ago #149402 by trucksyd
When I spoke to the engine builder the other day,he said he needs to look at it pulled apart ,to determine honing for rings etc....I would obviously need rings,mains bearings+ gaskets,
If the pistons are checked & are ok ,I may leave them alone,
What other parts would be a good idea?obviously the rear main seal, the builder said he may be able to grind the cam, I suppose cam bearings would be a good idea...
He said he may be able to skim some metal off the head for a bit more power...
}

More
9 years 6 months ago #149403 by dieseldog
How much do you want to spend and what are you looking to get out of it- an "as new" engine or just something reliable.

I always fit a new oil pump, or at least renew the pumping element, in every engine I rebuild and I won't warrant my work without it. Its cheap insurance....

More
9 years 6 months ago #149404 by trucksyd
Well, it runs reasonably well now, It was running a bit rough so I put a new set of plugs in her & it made a huge difference, firing well ,more power, but...... It does blow a little bit of smoke & could do with a bit more power to keep up with traffic(it's almost ready for a blue slip) so the plan is a rebuild ,not overboard with power, to fix the oil pump rather than replacing would be good .
I don't mind spending on the old girl it would be worth it in the end , the builder said $1000 for disassembly ,head work,machine work, etc, before parts...the shop is st.marys engines ,west Sydney ....

More
9 years 6 months ago #149405 by Dodge fan
Sorry Jarrod, I should have read the post properly[ch128077]
Billy 8-)

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute

More
9 years 6 months ago #149406 by podge66
6 281 pistons gen inter pistons ex army $ 55.00 each in Melbourne std, 020, 030 phone 03 9735 1911 Stephen. :) podge66.

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds