Skip to main content

Victorian road worthy requirements for 53 Fargo van?

More
7 years 5 months ago #176480 by Geekay
My 53 Fargo Suburban van is moving closer to registration and me applying for club permit.

The Fargo runs okay. So far only driven it up the court and back.
Having never done this before I am unsure how Vic Roads access a 1953 vehicle for roadworthiness.
I checked Vic Roads web page but not much help.
It is completely original so what is has is as it was when first registered in NSW.
Is there someone that can give me some guidance?

Questions I have for instance:
It has no indicators. I assume this is okay?
The only light on the back is a single red tail light, with a clear panel to illuminate licence plate. No brake lights. I assume I will need brake lights and some reflectors, and another tail light.
The fuel filler is INSIDE the cabin on the floor behind the passenger front seat, only covered by a small hinged flap on the floor, directly on top of the fuel tank. There is no "filler pipe" to the side of the van, as the next model had. Not exactly a safety feature.
The seats are just a tube steel with roped "leather" strung around them, like a camp chair. Fairly primitive but I guess will pass RWC.
Only one fairly pathetic windscreen wiper on drivers side.

Any help is appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176481 by hayseed
If you're a HCVC member they have a Sub branch at Albury Wodonga. make your self known to them. Or Join one of the Various Car Clubs in the Area, & they should be able to tell you of a RWC inspector who is familiar with older Vehicles & their inspection requirements..

My understanding is: they only have to comply with the Rules that where applicable at the Time of their Manufacture/first registration..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 5 months ago #176487 by bparo
Yes the vehicle only needs what was fitted at the time of build but anything required later but fitted (eg indicators, driving lights, fog lights) must work or the vehicle fails to be roadworthy. eg my 1965 falcon has an optional heater (no fan). I had to replace the cardboard tubes that run from the fan to the demister vents as a working demister is a roadworthy requirement (unless the vehicle doesn't have a heater)

There is one exception - seat belts. If they have ever been fitted to a vehicle the law requires that vehicle to always have seat belts. Eg My 1965 XP ute had seatbelts fitted when I purchased it and replacing the worn belts was ok but I wasn't allowed to take them out without putting another set in. My 1955 International has never had seat belts fitted at all so it doesn't need them to pass a roadworthy.

Vicroads only do enough of an inspection to ensure the vehicle looks ok and the numbers match for registration purposes. They rely on the Roadworthy Certificate you get from a licenced vehicle tester as to whether it is roadworhy or not. The tricky bit is to find a Licenced Vehicle Tester that understands the rules for older vehicles particularly around braking performance etc.

If you put it on Club Plates rather than Full rego you still need a RWC as your vehicle is newer than 1948 but you don't take the vehicle to VicRoads, they assume the club (who signed the Club Permit) are happy the vehicle is what you say it is

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Desoto671

More
7 years 5 months ago #176496 by atkipete
I think it would have had one brake light - look for a switch tapped into the brake line near the master cylinder ( under the cab) If you are going to be using it much in traffic I recommend fitting indicators as most car drivers don't understand hand signals.
Have fitted them to my 52 Dodge and even added a hazard switch - easy enough. Also rewired mine, converted it to 12v neg earth and used LED bulbs in the original fittings to keep load on the generator down.
p15-d24.com/gallery/image/1836-dodge-tray-truck/

More
7 years 5 months ago #176497 by Geekay
Ta all.
The local Chrysler club has a member who is a licenced RWC and he has essentially said it is up to to the individual tester as to how pedantic they want to be.
I want to be safe so agree stop lights and indicators make sense, probably even seat belts.
Just need to figure out how to do that without deviating too much from original and without it looking crap.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176501 by mammoth
If you are fitting seat belts the anchorages need to meet certain standards, which are likely to be hard to meet without significant modifications. Given the originality of this vehicle I would suggest doing as little as possible. Similarly, maybe fit indicators etc on a board which can be easily removed for showing. Not sure when brake lights became mandatory - later than you would think.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176503 by asw120
I got my Inter registered in Qld with one brake / tail / number plate light on the right and had to have a red reflector on the left.

I would expect a pressure activated brake light switch on one of these (ISTBC). They are prone to failure, but readily available and easily replaced.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 5 months ago #176620 by Geekay
Yep, realise now it has a pressure activated brake light. The wires to the master cylinder had not been reconnected when we installed the reconditioned mc. Put the wires on but no brake light. Hope it is only the globe. Test light and multi meter not working ;) so will get that sorted today.
Thanks all..the journey continues.
Then reinstalling the window winding mechanism in the doors complete with new bailey channel, rubbers etc. Bound to be fun as the square access hole in the door is not very big. Tempted to enlarge it with an angle grinder :evil:

More
7 years 5 months ago #176622 by atkipete
Put a jumper wire across the switch and see if your brake light works. If not maybe bulb, wiring or a bad earth down the back.

Time to create page: 0.589 seconds