Skip to main content

318-3 4barrel intake

More
6 years 10 months ago #184307 by Hemi74
318-3 4barrel intake was created by Hemi74
Hey all , I kinda messed up , I have a 318-3 engine , I bought a holley 650 and after market intake and realised that the heads on the 318-3 are different and have more water jacket entries from the head to the intake manifold , now to cut a long story short , the missus was complaining of my mess , so I did a tip run and threw out the old 2 barrel that fitted , anyone know if there is a after market 4 barrel manifold that will fit the 318-3 , was thinking about just putting it on and sealing up the extra water jackets but may give me hydrulic lock in the cooling system and not really a path I want to go down

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184312 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic 318-3 4barrel intake
You probably dodged a bullet there, it would want to be a pretty extreme 318 to warrant a 650, a 390 is more the go for a 318 in a truck, 465 at the most

More
6 years 9 months ago #184632 by Hemi74
Replied by Hemi74 on topic 318-3 4barrel intake
Thanks for info, yer ive done a bit of work to it, it's got factory double timing chain , bit of a better cam, 40 thou oversized ACL race series forged pistons, standard forged crank, ported intake and exhuast valve bowls (flow tested) and opened her up a bit through the neck , hardened stelite seats guides etc, port matched manifold and exhuasts, fully blue printed and balanced , and HEI ignition and 2.5 into 3 inch stainless exhaust it, reason for the forged pistons is I'm planning in future to twin turbo it , already pulls 120 up a hill with a backhoe on the back , these engines were almost built for boost

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 9 months ago #184633 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 318-3 4barrel intake
hemi
Gudday m8

All sounds good
Probly pass everything ................. but a petrol station

BestoLuckO

cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 9 months ago #184637 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic 318-3 4barrel intake
Dinosaurs died for a reason Swishy, its our duty to use that fuel.

More
6 years 9 months ago #184641 by Hemi74
Haha yea might get personalised plates , "fxxck EPA" haha nah just going to be a Sunday cruiser , it's in a 300 series d5n , would be nice to see Jap trucks in the rear vision mirror!! Do u guys know if there was a factory 4 barrel intake made for the 318-3 with the extra water jackets in manifold? All ones I've ever seen have been 2 barrels

More
6 years 9 months ago #184645 by Hemi74
Problem sorted!! After a morning of head scratching I drilled out the intake manifold that lines up with the water jacket with 14.5 mm drill bit then tapped in a 16x 1.5 thread in the 4 locations then put in a 16x1.5 to AN10 fitting and ran braided hoses across, will not heat the manifold but will still circulate coolant through the cyl heads and should have no air lock going on, thought I'd put in my fix as if anyone else has same problem , might help them

More
6 years 9 months ago #184646 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic 318-3 4barrel intake
Been a very long time since I had anything to do with the Dodge engines.
Is the thermostat housing part of the inlet manifold? If so the 2 barrel manifold may have linked to that.
Have you just run the hoses from 1 head to the other?
Cheers Steve

More
6 years 9 months ago #184647 by Hemi74
G'day Steve , the 318-3 commonly known as the heavy duty truck version of the 318 has quite a few differences about it , forged crank, full floater pins, premium steel block , made thicker with more zink in the cast, and extra water (x3 per side )jackets that travel through the head and into the manifold , where as it's little brother the 318-2 and -1 only have it in the thermostat part of the manifold at the front , back in the day, they used to tear open these engines and retrieve the good parts for race cars (forged crank , stronger rods and floating pins etc etc) so all I did was modify the after market 4 barrel intake and bring the water across from one side to the other to let it flow, haven't got it back together yet as I'm chasing a 318-3 head gasket with the extra passages for water gallery's ,I recon I'll get around 650 hp from this thing once I got the twin turbo system hooked up

More
6 years 9 months ago #184648 by Hemi74
Yea I think it did hook into thermostat side of it as well but was more worried not enough flow and water would be a bit stagnant at the back of the cyl head

Time to create page: 0.489 seconds