Skip to main content

Gauges

More
4 months 1 week ago #249632 by AdrianA
Gauges was created by AdrianA
Hi All,

Im after an Oil Pressure and Temp gauge to suit a Ford Blitz, anyone have a period correct ones they  would like to part with or know or a vendor that has them or something suitable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #249633 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Gauges
Are they the early Ford panel or the later standardised military like all later blitz, Dodge, Jeep, GMC etc had?

If the later type you can not go past these, good quality and work well in hundreds of restored Australian vehicles. A full set including a speedo for less than you will pay for one oil pressure from REPCO. Lots of manufacturers kept them in their commercial vehicles, tractors and forklifts even to this day.

Here are the early and late Ford Blitz panels. If you have an early one just so easy to convert to later one which would have been done in workshops anyhow to solve instrument problems. I believe like the early Chev Blitz ford just used their standard civilian instrument panel.

Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, asw120

More
4 months 1 week ago #249635 by AdrianA
Replied by AdrianA on topic Gauges
Hi,
Mine has the later panel not the car dash, didn't even think about your suggestion appreciate the comment as i once looked at a similiar set for another vehicle but wondered what quality they were, at that price definately worth giving them a go.
Appreciate the feed back
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, asw120

More
4 months 1 week ago #249637 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Gauges
Quoted $800 to restore an old style temp gauge unit with the bulb and copper tube.

More
4 months 1 week ago #249638 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Gauges
Another option is to buy a new one and replace the facia.

With VDO gauges, gently roll the racia ring up and remove. Lift off the glass and then it can be extracted..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #249639 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Gauges
Jon

I think altering VDO gauges is a bit like feeding strawberries to pigs. Good chance they are made in China now as well as everything else.

The VDO gauges do not have the same shape outer ring and are easily identifiable as modern units. The Indian ones work just as good as VDO in my experience with several vehicles but have the same design outer ring as original. AC were the big contractors during WW2 but many smaller operations produced these gauges (or components for them) to standard military specs.

Here is a concourse Jeep restoration with correct instrument rings (like Indian copies). Manufacturers differed very slightly with face markings for instance some had "Gas" some had "Fuel". They did make metric ones for European countries and instruments with Russian and Chinese for those armies. If you go Indian copies you can get miles, Kilometres or dual markings. they also offer temperature F and C.

The little dash lights, dash light cover and cover extensions can be bough from Nigel Ward at Milspares in Brisbane. He has instruments too but probably a similar source and with freight and mark-up.

Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Normanby, overlander, PaulFH, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.457 seconds