Skip to main content

Volvo N12

More
11 years 6 months ago #97470 by David67
Volvo N12 was created by David67
I have recently bought a Volvo N12 (1979) from Tassie. Everything I have read about the N12 shows it runs a 24v System. Not so .. with the one I have. !2v Alternator, starter, lights, horn etc. Is this normal ? Also, any ideas where I would find something containing the wiring diagram of the truck ? Finally, The front cross member is broken and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where I would find this crossmember...also supports the front engine mount.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #97471 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: Volvo N12
Hi David,
Good to hear you have a Volvo, they are a pretty damn solid old truck. (despite what Swishy would have you believe!)
My old N10 did a ripper job, and it was comfortable as well- a bonus for a truck of that era!
From my memory, they are 24volt start and 12 volt run- stupid idea I reckon, but pretty common, especially for older european trucks. If you look around the battery area, you should see the series - parallel switch mounted around there somewhere. Usually called the jesus box, for obvious reasons....
I've always found Volwreck in Melbourne pretty helpful, talk to John, they should have everything you need, and it shouldn't be expensive for an old banger. Thier number is 03 93577081.
Good luck, and post a pic of your old girl please!
Cheers
Richard

More
11 years 6 months ago #97472 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Volvo N12
She must have done some pretty hard yakka off road to crack a frame member. The N series had a much tougher chassis compared to the G's and F's. The Euorpean built Volvo's had full 24 v and only the Aussie built ones had the 24/12 (copying Kenworth?) Ditto on Volwreck. You don't say where you are but should be a matter of finding a wreck to strip with spanners. While your'e down there check to see than none of the bolts for the spring hangers have come loose and flogged the holes out.

Checkout the heritage volvo pages on www.hunteroldtrucks.com

More
11 years 6 months ago #97473 by David67
Replied by David67 on topic Re: Volvo N12
Thanks guys for the reply. I am at Phillip Island, so Volwreck is not so far...I guess. The truck spent it's life in Tassie, and I believe carted wood chips prior to ending up on a farm. It had not been used for several years, but started first time and I drove it back from the docks to Phillip Island. Like all old trucks, it will need some work, especially the paint and electrical. I have been watching too much of "trick my truck", but this N12 was bought to put into action carting honeybees around the state. Stay Tuned !!!!

More
11 years 6 months ago #97474 by David67
Replied by David67 on topic Re: Volvo N12
I can't figure out how to post an image. Maybe next time. Grrrr

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #97475 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Volvo N12
Good luck, David, she sounds like a good, honest bit of gear.

Have a go at this link for posting photos - www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1170808619

Basically, you need to upload the photos to a hosting site like Photobucket. Once they're loaded there you can copy the address provided for each photo (look for the one starting with [img] and ending with [/img ]) and paste it into a message on here. The wonders of computers do the rest.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
11 years 6 months ago #97476 by Rapid
Replied by Rapid on topic Re: Volvo N12
Hi was that the Volvo for sale on the North coast around devonport

More
11 years 6 months ago #97477 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Volvo N12
David,
good luck Volvoing, I will get BlacksmithPete to contact you, he has an N10, he corected all his electrical issues with a fire, apparently a common occurrence as they get older, water leaks from winscreen into the big fuse panel, and sparks up instead of shorting out. During his rebuild he got rid of as much 12 volt as he could, but the radio and something else are still 12 volt and keeps sucking his batteries flat....

stand by.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
11 years 6 months ago #97478 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Volvo N12
Sucking his batteries flat - sounds like he has the 12v converter wired directly to the the battery and not via ignition switch. It will pull some current even when the radio etc is off. Best practice anyway is to have an isolator switch on the battery box and use it when away from the truck.

More
11 years 6 months ago #97479 by Raggsie
Replied by Raggsie on topic Re: Volvo N12
New a bloke years ago whose Father and Brother both had N series Volvos that he would simply rewire from scratch.
Needless to say he did simplify the whole thing considerably ;)

1956 International AR160&&196? International A414&&1988 Ford F250&&1982 FORD

Time to create page: 0.422 seconds