Skip to main content

Old Austin

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #113096 by oldbugger
Old Austin was created by oldbugger
This has been here, for a long time I eventually got around to photo's, the cab is rotten.

[/URL] [/img]

[/URL][/img]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #113097 by ozzyguy
Replied by ozzyguy on topic Re: Old Austin
Oldbugger glad to see another Austin :) the more the merrier where are you located?

On the one hand

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #113098 by Slasha
Replied by Slasha on topic Re: Old Austin
There is one which looks like this at the Scap yard in town :o :o :o
Might have to get some pics and some info of it before it leave on the slow boat to china because the cab on it doesn't look to bad :-?

Slasha

1974 White Road Boss

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #113099 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Re: Old Austin
There is one of these Austins here that was originally fitted with an experimental multi-fuel engine, I think there were about a dozen made.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #113100 by steveb
Replied by steveb on topic Re: Old Austin
A lot of these extended front mudguard models were used as manhaul units on the building of the Snowy Hydro scheme in the early '50s.I always thought that these wider axled ones with the front flutes on the bonnets,were the loadstars not the smaller 3 ton type ones,but ISTBC Some were also in 4X4 configeration. It's a bugger to have to get old and try to remember back that far.Saw a lot of these Austins around Cabramurra during the Snowy building.Was pulling in there with a 1075 Dodge Power giant(1950'S)

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #113101 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: Old Austin
K9 4x4. A handful made it to New Zealand too, the ones I've seen had the 4 litre Austin petrol engine. The 2, 3, and 5 ton ones with this cab and the short bonnet were all Loadstars, Steve. Austin also referred to the Loadstars as the Series 2 trucks. The Series 1 were the second series narrow bonnet ones-K2, K3, K4-nicknamed the Birmingham Bedford, because they resembled an OLB Bedford. The Series 3 were the BMC built Austin/Morris 303/503 models with the Loadstar cab and the longer bonnet.
The first K series trucks which Austin began building in 1939 were the K30-30 cwt, K2-2 ton, K3-3 ton and K4-5 ton models. They didn't have the vertical bars in the centre of the grille that the Series 1 trucks had otherwise they were very similar to a Series 1 and used the same cab.
I'm not sure what models you had in Aussie, but in N.Z. the Series 3 trucks were replaced by the very similar WEK series-WEK30-30 cwt to WEK100-5ton. The last trucks to use a modified version of the Loadstar cab were the WFK series. They had a one piece screen, four headlights, and the doors were cut off so they didn't extend to the bottom of the cab like they had on previous versions. These were-WFK60/600WF-3 ton and WFK100/830WF-5 ton trucks. I hope I've been able to explain this ok, really need some photos.
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #113102 by oldbugger
Replied by oldbugger on topic Re: Old Austin
This one's located at the top of the world at Tow Law, County Durham, England.

Time to create page: 0.457 seconds