Skip to main content

Commer Trucks as Fuel Tankers?

More
11 years 1 month ago #113823 by camma
Does anyone out there have any info on Late Model Commer Trucks like the one that I own being used in the Fuel Industry? I'm trying to seek information relating to my truck which may have once been used to carry Fuel etc as the wiring loom is covered in conduit and there is a Fleet Number lable made by a lable maker near the air cleaner. Also Being Red, it may have been working for Caltex.This truck also has Edbro Hydraulics which may have been fitted later to suit tipper application as only one connection point.

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Please help me. I need Commer Parts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #113824 by overnite
Does your muffler run across the front of the truck underneath the front bumper bar, if so it was possibly a fuel truck.

More
11 years 1 month ago #113825 by olddon
John L Pierce in Sydney had heaps of them doing fuel,both rigids and trailers in the 70's,so there will probably be some still around.

More
11 years 1 month ago #113826 by atkipete
I think Esso was red and white as well.

More
11 years 1 month ago #113827 by fageol100
Lots of Commer fuel tankers in New Zealand. The Todd family owned the Europa Oil Company and Todd Motors had the N.Z. agency for the Rootes Group-hence they ran Commers and a few Karriers.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #113828 by Lang
Camma,

I had an ex-BP Commer (at least it was BP colours and had various BP stickers in the cab. Might have been a BP sub-contractor or BP fuel agent at an airport). Perkins powered with single drive but twin steer.

By the time I got it in early 80's it had a 4 ton crane behind the cab and about a 16 foot tray. I bought it from a truck dealer in Shepparton and used it in my pile driving business right along the coast of Qld for about 3 years. Was a handy truck.

Lang
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Lang.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #113829 by ute253
Yeah Camma, I seem to remember John Trewin had a Commer rigid as a fuel tanker in Benalla around the mid seventies.
His company merged with Bill Luck to form Trewin Luck and still was involved with Caltex but I think they went to BP at some stage but cannot be sure on that one.

David

Diamond T P3320 x 2&&Studebaker US6 6x6&&HQ GTS Coupe&&HQ ute&&HG ut

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #113830 by fageol100
Some Commer fuel tankers from New Zealand. CD715 artic tanker belonging to Europa Oil Company.

[IMG

Europa CD741 tanker.

[IMG

More
11 years 4 weeks ago - 11 years 4 weeks ago #113831 by fageol100
Caltex Oil N.Z. Commer C715 artic tanker-prime mover and semi.

[IMG
Last edit: 11 years 4 weeks ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago - 11 years 4 weeks ago #113832 by JBran
They were quite common as fuel tankers. Pretty sure I have even seen Commer brochures with them being used as tankers. Some seem to have even been fitted with a tray and removable tanks for delivery!!! :D :)

BTW That above truck is for sale, in Mannum SA, and can be found on farm clearing sales!! :)
Last edit: 11 years 4 weeks ago by JBran.

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds