Skip to main content

Mech certs

More
10 years 11 months ago #117916 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Re: Mech certs

I would suggest that $50-$60 an hour is in the mines or another remote location.
I would be genuinely amazed if every second mechanic in Perth is on that sort of money.
I would guess that most in Perth would be on $25-$30 an hour, that is about the going rate in Brisbane anyway.

When someone quotes those sort of figures it usually gets the "wow" reaction. Bear in mind, for that sort of money, it will be a certain number of days on then off, and not uncommon on a dry site either, with a rotating night/day shift.

One of my ex-apprentices is working in the mines at the moment, straight out of her apprenticeship with us and is on about $120,000 a year. She does a roster of 4 days on, then 4 off, 5 on then 5 off, and it rotates from night shift for one lot of rostered on then day shift the next. 12 hour days/nights. When you take all the shift allowances into account, the extra travel and the higher cost of living it puts it back into a bit more perspective. Another common misconception is that the mines will hire just about anyone who wants a job there. They are very particular about who they employ and to get "in" in the first place is the trick. You really do have to want to work in these places to make a bit of long term thing out of it. I've seen quite a few last 6 months or so, then they decide they like living in town better than the big dollars, so it isn't for everyone.

That's town money, site money is better again but no ball biters on site unless they are in the office. If you are REALLY good you can get better than that in "town" but you have to be able to walk the walk instead of just being a talker.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #117917 by ronhorse
Replied by ronhorse on topic Re: Mech certs

Hey bigcam, you axed if I had any more pic's of the Brissie show in the mid '90's, this is one of my mate Bob Foster, I was staying at Redcliffe and he was 2 days drive up the coast, I called him and said I need a lift into the Brisbane truck show, no problem he say, drove down and we went to it, is that a mate or what!! he was an avid Foden man so was surprised he let me take a pic of him in front of the Mack, his bro Doug managed Buntines. 8-)

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
10 years 11 months ago #117918 by ronhorse

NR Mack

More
10 years 11 months ago #117919 by ronhorse

More Macks

More
10 years 11 months ago #117920 by ronhorse

One day, in the far distance future, I will get this bucket right!!

More
10 years 11 months ago #117921 by ronhorse

Man had this Commer knocker running on a trailer, really neat

More
10 years 11 months ago #117922 by ronhorse

Really neat Studebaker, unusual, thought it was a GMC at first

More
10 years 11 months ago #117923 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Mech certs
Four years ago our car was at the dealers to find a computer problem, the looking rate was $127/ hour. Got to know the mechanic working on it, he was getting $27.

More
10 years 11 months ago #117924 by ronhorse

Giving a demonstration with an oldie, met 2 brothers from burpengary who had the best private collection I have ever seen, became friends with them and used to go out to see them, had a quarry show I think in sandgate many years ago, never traded in their trucks, Diamond T's still with the plastic on the doors, KB11's ,you name it sadly probably gone now as they were getting on then, drove across some railway tracks and it was on the left, huge building just for themselves to tinker with, must have been a million dollars worth of stuff, maybe someone on the forum knew them, super guys.

More
10 years 11 months ago #117925 by ronhorse

Fire engine in the main building

Time to create page: 0.577 seconds