Skip to main content

Kurt Johannsen's Diamond T film

More
10 years 9 months ago #123334 by bigcam
After looking at the Video Beaver put up I've been looking at some of the other video's on the Film Australia You Tube channel and I came across this one on Darwin.
There is some good stuff on there, thanks Beaver.
There is some good Footage of Kurt Johannsen loading up his Diamond T and the truck heading out of town loaded up with drums.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123335 by ronhorse
hey Cam, thanks so much for putting on the Utube link to Darwin, real trip down memory lane, couldn't believe it seeing a young Ted Stiles guzzling down a beer at the Vic hotel, he came up from Perth with his wife and 3 daughters after the war, worked for a while, played a sax in a band, bought a Commer traytop and started carting freight from Alice to Darwin, his mate, Jimmy Burnett bought a Bedford traytop and did the same, hard to believe you could make money with such small trucks, but 25 quid per ton and cheap fuel in Darwin must have made it pay, always stayed with him when I visited him, real character, developed quite a large operation but always treated life as a bit of a joke, ended up the last time I saw him he was living in a demountable out at Howard Springs. thanks again.

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #123336 by bigcam
Ron, if you put "Film Australia" in to the search on You tube, or click on the name of the poster, it takes you to all their video's. There is at least another 1 on Darwin, showing the buildings before and after the war.

I've been wasting hours checking out their films.

Actually, this'll make it easier- just click on the link-
www.youtube.com/user/FILMAUSTRALIA/videos
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by bigcam.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123337 by Bugly
Thanks Bigcam, good to see what old Darwin was like!! ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 9 months ago #123338 by clute
Hi,good find.
2.30 min. in shows a ute and trailer. Is that a Rolls Royce cut down?

Cheers Bruce. :)

"If it aint broke

More
10 years 9 months ago #123339 by wouldyou
A read of Kurt Johannsen's A SON OF THE RED CENTRE about those empty drums is interesting, a good book. Coming home from Perth one night in the 60's we followed a dull single tail light for miles at 60 plus MPH. It pulled in to the roadhouse at New Norcia, a real old Rolls Royce made into a ute like that one. David.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123340 by oldfulla
Here are some more YouTube links to some older truckin video clips. And while you are looking at these

More
10 years 8 months ago #123341 by Cunning Stunt
That was great, especially loved the ground crew handing a rifle to the bloke in the plane. There is a cut down Rolls restored at Alice Airport, I'd reckon its the same car

Some play hard to get

More
10 years 8 months ago #123342 by ray
The cut down Rolls Royce is probably the one owned by Eddy Connellan who was responsible for opening up the centre of Australia with aircraft. The Rolls was used for clearing land to make airstrips for his planes and is now on display at Alice Springs airport.

10 years 8 months ago #123343 by
Here You go Boys,
The Rolls Royce ute at Alice Springs Airport,

Loosley. :) ;)

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds