10 years 7 months ago #127895 by ronhorse
[IMG

Bit of info on the jolly green diamond ;D

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #127896 by Cunning Stunt
Great info as always ron!

I'm no IH expert but I have a mate who is, I think the K5 has no chrome and a small badge where the KS5 has the shiny stuff. I think this was carried through all sizes

Some play hard to get

More
10 years 7 months ago #127897 by atkipete
From memory the S indicates it is fitted with a 2 speed rear axle, but can read up my IH stuff to check this.

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #127898 by
K5 = standard
KS5= 2 speed diff
KB5=standard they had the chrome grills
KBS5=2 speed diff with chrome grills

Think also K series had the spider wheels where KB had the disc wheels

Trevor

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #127899 by JollyGreenSlugg
Thank you very much, folks.

This stuff is gold! Anything that people might like to post is gratefully received.

You've all really cleared it up for me. I imagine a truck in that setup today would have no chance of even historic registration.

I imagine these vehicles were seen far and wide. I've long been fascinated by the whole Lend Lease story, and how it enabled the start of quite a few blokes after the war.

Now, to start considering my restoration options!

Cheers,
Matt

**Jolly Green Diamond. I like it!**
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by JollyGreenSlugg.

More
10 years 7 months ago #127900 by werkhorse

K5 = standard
KS5= 2 speed diff

Trevor

Very close to the mark there Trevor. The K/KS were built between 1940 n 1945 and had a wood framed cab. The KB/KBS were buillt from 1945 - 1949 and had an all steel cab.
Trev is correct about the chrome work.
The spider hubs were used on the KS/KBS models fitted with 2 speed diffs.

I had a 1944 KS5 ex army with air compressor mounted on the gearbox and pintle hook at the rear and also a 1949 KB5 that was originally used by a funeral parlour to transport it's timber, etc for coffin making :-?

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
10 years 7 months ago #127901 by JollyGreenSlugg
I'm learning a great deal today. Thank you!

Could someone please point out to me where the data plate should be found? And does anyone have pics of the dash layout? Here's what this one looks like, it's a fixer-upper!;

[IMG

Missing the seat and fairly basic to begin with. I wonder what the instrument cluster should look like?

Cheers,
Matt

10 years 7 months ago #127902 by

K5 = standard
KS5= 2 speed diff

Trevor

Very close to the mark there Trevor. The K/KS were built between 1940 n 1945 and had a wood framed cab. The KB/KBS were buillt from 1945 - 1949 and had an all steel cab.
Trev is correct about the chrome work.
The spider hubs were used on the KS/KBS models fitted with 2 speed diffs.

I had a 1944 KS5 ex army with air compressor mounted on the gearbox and pintle hook at the rear and also a 1949 KB5 that was originally used by a funeral parlour to transport it's timber, etc for coffin making :-?

Werk

My 1944 KS5 has got an all steel cab, Murray Langfords KB5 has got the 2speed diff and spider wheels from a earlier KS as the KB series did not come out with spiders.

These trucks did not have a serial tag on them the number was stencil painted across the fire wall just above the engine.

The dash looks like a standard K series I will see if I can find my pictures

Trevor

More
10 years 7 months ago #127903 by werkhorse
Ahh righto Trev ... There may have been a few crossovers with the cab about 1944-1946.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

10 years 7 months ago #127904 by

I imagine a truck in that setup today would have no chance of even historic registration.

Now, to start considering my restoration options!

Cheers,
Matt

**Jolly Green Diamond. I like it!**

Matt

Historic rego is no problem all it has to do is meet the specs from the time it was made. My 27 has no doors seat belts didn't require indicators or stop lights but we put them on for safety. So you will be fine just talk to the rego mob and they will tell you what you need.

Trevor

Time to create page: 0.438 seconds