Skip to main content

Inter R190 R200 R220 info

More
10 years 6 months ago #130894 by atkipete
These were a very successful model for IH and ran from 54 till 68. The previous model L190 looked much the same.
IH used their locally made cab ( pressed by Chrysler in Adelaide ) while it was available and then switched to the American cab in later years. There may be some exceptions to this rule.
Even when the R190 had an Aussie built cab, it did not have enough local content to qualify as Australian made and did not have the A prefix that the lighter trucks (AR160 etc ) received.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #130895 by melonreo
I am keen to answer this topic in detail , but I am busy trucking for harvest , so 8-)
just quickly .. ;)

the TURNERS R210 has a USA made cab . made by the chicargo cab manufacturing company.
the easiest way to tell is the fact that you can see exposed door hinges

I will get to the 1piece and 2 piece rear windows later

the red R210 inter with the dish wheels is a USA cab . the red inter tucked away in the shed has a Richards cab on it .

but don't for get how old these things are and what has happed to them in their lifetime

there is a chap down south of VIC, his dad had a lot of 90's and 200's, he told me back in the day that it was common for a late model (USA) cab R200 (with full air) to come into the workshop after a big dingle and get refitted with a Richards cabin , and sent back to work :-X

More
10 years 6 months ago #130896 by ronhorse
[IMG

I came across this Inter R220 abandoned at a levy in New Orleans, had a Cummins in it, same cab as my old R180, too far to bring home as I lived in Virginia, looked like it would just need some batteries, not sure about the back window.

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
10 years 6 months ago #130897 by ronhorse
[IMG

This was it's earlier model, the KB series 8-)

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
10 years 6 months ago #130898 by melonreo

Nice clear photo , It also has what I believe is the latter model 7 bar grill not the 3 bar grill

the 7 verticle bar grill is earlier , it is a L model

More
10 years 5 months ago #130899 by AUSSIE TD-40
OK see how I will go with this :-?
L models started in 1949 to 1953 with the 7 vertical grill bars.
R models from 1953 to 1968
USA cabs started with 2 rear windows and concealed hinges, then changed in about 51-52 to the external hinge, about 54 went to a single rear window. In 55 they changed the 1/4 vent window lock to a push button lock and made the door glass deeper by about a inch or so ( can check both doors if needed?). In 1964 the external door were changed to a push button like a HG Holden. This cab then ran to 68 in V and R models and to 71 in the heavy M models.
Aussie cab made by Richards was used all the early 50's inters from a AL110 ute up to a L190 truck, early ones had a 2 peace windscreen, the change to a curved one peace windscreen was in the R models was about 1954 I think, last used for R190's in 1963. Had a flat dash and 1/4 vent windows with no divider when the door glass is down.
As to models with the Aussie cab I have only seen and know of L-190 and R-190 (192 single drive, 195 bogey drive), did we make a R-200 with this cab?
USA cabs range from a light R-185 to a heavy RD-230, and don't for get the RD-305's and RD-405's and the V models. The R-185 with a small red diamond engine looks like a 190 but has light chassis and axels from the 180's range. Then you have the R-190 that could be single or bogey drive, petrol or diesel, hyd or air brakes. R-200's same as 190s but a bit heaver. R-210's bogey drive. R-220 single drive. RD-225 single drive and RD-230 bogey drive with a 10 1/4" longer bonnet and the big Cummins engine 8-)
The USA parts books run to 5 different ones and up to 4" thick and at the start it says these are custom built trucks. And there is also a Aust parts book aswell.
Huge range of engines from small ones like Black Diamonds and Perkins diesels up to 501 Red Diamonds and Cummins C-180's and GM's and bigger Cummins in the long bonnet models. Same with gearboxs, diffs and axels, a huge range. If you wanted it and had the dollars and time IH would make it for you ;)

hope this helps some +ISTBC :-?
Jake

INTER TRUCKS, B-3, L-120, AL160, AACO180D, R-190, RD-200
plus a few Inter tractors eta
WARWICK QLD AUSTRALIA

More
10 years 5 months ago #130900 by Diesel Smoke
Thanks Aussie TD-40 , some great info

Real steel or no deal

Time to create page: 0.400 seconds