Skip to main content

Rabbit Flat Roadhouse

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #141082 by Lang
Rabbit Flat Roadhouse was created by Lang
Rabbit Flat Roadhouse.

Many people have asked about the Rabbit Flat Roadhouse, which operated for 41 years on the Tanami Track. I found the following on the Halls Creek website. To check the full story av-relay.hcshire.wa.gov.au/docs/Public/H...%5B2012.08.28%5D.pdf

In May 1968 we drove out to Tanami to erect the "Tent Motel" for Ansett Pioneer but it was washed out in mid 1968. After living and working in Alice for the next 10 months and negotiating widely, we commenced our Rabbit Flat venture in June 1969, on 5 acres of land, beneath a mulga tree and on the edge of the rapidly drying waterhole. Just prior to Jackie and I arriving on site in 1969, an airstrip was graded three miles to the north of our campsite, on a laterite ridge, for Geo Peko. Bureau of Meteorology Darwin installed the first Weather Station in August '69.

Only one coach came through while we were under the mulga tree and that was an Ansett Pioneer, chartered by the Australian lnland Mission from Melbourne. The years of 1971 - 1973 were very busy, until the three very wet years of 1973 - 1975 stopped a lot of traffic.

King Ranch (of Texas, USA), owners of Brunette Downs Station on the Barkly Tablelands, began to de-stock the British Breed cattle from their Mount House Station in the Kimberleys and re-stocked with Santa Gertrudis. As a consequence, thousands of cattle came through here, en-route to Alice, as other Kimberley stations also took advantage of the outlet. The Truckies were a rough and ready breed of blokes, extremely hard working and always operating under tiring and adverse conditions. No whinging, but decent to a man (and woman). Frank and Oriel Fidler (especially Oriel), who were no 'spring-chickens, were continually amongst the fray. Oriel's courageous efforts over the years were nothing short of awe inspiring. Characters like Wally Spears, who drove a 'cab-over' Mercedes truck. He named it "Hitler's Revenge". Another Truckie drove a Hino and he called it "He No Good". The names of the Truckies are too numerous to name and many I have forgotten or didn't know, but a breed unto themselves. Like the cameleers in bygone years, these men and a few women, carted every conceivable item imaginable to build and supply the outback. They still do it to this day.

Mining companies began to proliferate. Seems that Uranium and Gold were on top of the agenda. Geo Peko drilled and explored in the Granites area extensively for gold.

As the early 1970s began to roll, the tourist coaches began to proliferate. Most memorable were Ansett Pioneer, Bill & Doreen Hand's "Sundowner" and Bill King's 4x4 20 seaters.

Ansett pioneer's Drivers/Coach Captains in those early days preceding "Political Correctness" took no prisoners and the adventurous tourists lapped it up'

ln 1975 and 1976 large Works Dept teams and contractors began to clear and form the new alignment for the Tanami Track. As the years have progressed, some bitumen has been laid and with continual up-grading, it is fair enough to now call the track a 'road' or flasher still, a 'Highway'.

ln the big 'wets' of 1973, 1974 and into early 1975, the road was so bad that we went practically 18 months without any trade. As the 1980s rolled into the 1990s the pressure from so many disparate groups of travellers became so worrying that we began a partial closure in 1989 (closed 3 days a week). This lasted for 18 years but was obviously fraught with numerous problems.

Before the desert became civilized with proper 'dog & bones' and mail services, the stock and station agents, namely Elders and Bennetts, always dropped in with a loaf of bread and the mail. A time honoured outback tradition, much appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #141083 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: Rabbit Flat Roadhouse
Good on you Lang, thanks for posting that... reckon that would have been a tough life alright..
Cheers
Richard

More
10 years 11 hours ago #141084 by Backyard Fixer
Hay Lang,great story.I've been to Rabbit Flat, i've got a stubbie holder to prove it.

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

More
9 years 11 months ago #141085 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Rabbit Flat Roadhouse
A bit more on rambling memories but still quite interesting. From Westprint weekly bulletin.

The following information was sent after a discussion about travelling long distances on buses and a meeting with a truck driver recently when he mentioned he was no longer allowed to change tyres on his truck.

Road-side truck repairs are a thing of the distant past. A year or more back I stopped to help a truckie on the Nullarbor. He had no tools, not even a shifter. His alternator had failed and the truck began to shut itself down as the batteries drained. After calling H/O he was told to carry on (west - he was well past Nullarbor H.S. but a long way short of Border Village) so he drove until the computers closed the truck down totally and left him in the middle of nowhere. He was gone when I came back a week or so later.... guess the mechanics finally turned up

More
9 years 11 months ago #141086 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: Rabbit Flat Roadhouse
Don't stop lang, keep ema coming... Great stories, can't get enough..
Cheers
Richard

More
9 years 10 months ago #141087 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Rabbit Flat Roadhouse
Hi Lang,

Yep! I'm with Prodrive!

Keep these stories going, bet there's just as many armchair 'travellers' who enjoy a good yarn, especially in relation to the outback, as there are who droll over shiny chrome plated new jiggers!

By the way, for Detective, old timer bloke I knew back in the seventies had a saying, " Listen up, young feller! They only ever made two types of trucks, you know. Peterbilts and pus-buckets!"

Cheers, Dave 64

Time to create page: 0.455 seconds