Skip to main content

Birdseye Buses

• Topic Author
9 years 11 months ago #142231 by
Birdseye Buses was created by
I had some info sent to me and Birdseye Buses of the Eyre Peninsula was mentioned but no other info about them .
So has anyone on here heard of this company and do they still exist or have they been taken over.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #142232 by indianman
Replied by indianman on topic Re: Birdseye Buses
G'day Dave check out Langs Rabbit flat R/house latest post you might want to talk to him
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1397700494

Jon
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by indianman.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142233 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Birdseye Buses
Dave, I don't know of them but just recently I saw a mention of the name somewhere, maybe it was on Facebook, I just not sure. Cheers Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
9 years 11 months ago #142234 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Birdseye Buses
It doesn't appear in either historic or current lists in Australian bus fleet lists.
< fleetlists.busaustralia.com/index-sa.php?historic=yes> ;
I will have trouble tracking my notes and photos.
IIRC my first Eyre Peninsula holiday was in my EK.
It was the second where I travelled with a range of bus operators. In that era, Adelaide - Whyalla had a trunk operator or two. Local connections were three way: converging at Minnipa from Whyalla, Port Lincoln and Ceduna at lunchtime; cross exchanging passengers and parcels; then returning to base. One of the three was simply a medium rigid van, with space for two passengers in the cab.

Google brought up this great page:
< www.samemory.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=438&c=7377> ;
There may be more.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

• Topic Author
9 years 11 months ago #142235 by
Replied by on topic Re: Birdseye Buses
Thanks Rodders I looked them up They ran Reos and started in 1921 - 1962 they had Sunday Mail (newspaper) run which was 1460 kmone of the longnest runs in the world.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142236 by RocksnRoses
Replied by RocksnRoses on topic Re: Birdseye Buses
I can just remember when Birdseye ran to the west coast, it was a very long time ago.

Here is some more information, courtesy of Google.

adb.anu.edu.au/biography/birdseye-sylvia-jessie-catherine-9511

www.flickr.com/photos/74822643@N07/sets/...629683876453/detail/

RnR.

More
9 years 10 months ago #142237 by Ronny G
Replied by Ronny G on topic Re: Birdseye Buses
I was very interested to read the info about Sylvia Birdseye. I remember riding on one of her buses around 1960. We left Arno Bay on our way back to Adelaide and the bus had been over booked and I being a young lad sat on a box in the isle at the back,until somewhere between Whyalla and Port Augusta where the bus stopped and we where met by Sylvia herself in a car to pick up me and a young lady and drive us into Port Augusta where maybe some passengers got off leaving seats for us.I don't know where she drove from but I remember being very honoured to be picked up by Mrs. Birdseye.We now have the Birdseye Roadhouse in Cleve and the Birdseye Highway from Cowell to Cleve in recognition of here services to us back in those days.

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds