Skip to main content

Hoy (Ovens Valley, Vic.)

More
9 years 11 months ago #142418 by Roderick Smith
Harrietville (Vic.): Bon Accord Hospice, with a Hoy bus & truck. Nov.59. (Roderick Smith)
Australian Bus Fleets goes only to the 1970s with its
history lists.
The company's website has only a title page, no history page. < www.buslines.com.au/hoys> ;
This was on a school excursion, which would have used two or three buses.
I don't remember Mrs Hoy, but my father did from later years when he ran school excursions there.
When I became a teacher in charge, I was working with one of the sons who had inherited the family business.
IIRC, that truck was a Blitz, but lots of makers produced Blitz models.
The company dominated Ovens Valley: Wangaratta - Myrtleford - Bright - Harrietville - Mt Hotham, and ran the hospice at Harrietville.
Later, an offshoot was DeLuxe.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

5911xx Harrietville (Vic.). Hoys bus and truck. R Smith

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142419 by Dig a ditch
G'day

Would this be the same hoys that run the ski hire place in harrietville now?

Interesting.

Cheers

No school like the old school!

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #142420 by Roderick Smith
Yes,
It is the same family; from memory the same site: it sprawled along with several hospice buildings. This bus is unlabelled, but is Hoy colours, and Hoy territory. My family caught it from Bright for a day in Mt Hotham snow. It is a Toyota, and a guess a Dyna. I am relying on my father's caption that it is at Mt St Bernard, part way up. I have driven the road every ski season for over 30 years, and still can't recognise all the landmarks. My first few were in my EK Holden (wagon, not saloon as in the photo), with ladder chains.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

650909Th Mt St Bernard, bus. N Smith.

Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Roderick Smith.

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds