Skip to main content

1960's travels

More
9 years 10 months ago #144021 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: 1960's travels
Lang, I asked a mate who was in the Army Survey Corps way back when you started off in your Landrover, about the passenger door flap and received this reply
The vehicle was a 'Trucks 3/4 ton GS (Topo Svy) and was produced exclusively for the Survey Corps. It was different from other long wheel base Landrovers in that it had a 'hard top' designed to walk on and so you could see further in the desert and the roof was painted 'dayglo' orange. The flap was a table designed to fold down and to tilt so that it was the right height and angle when you wrote up your field notes when sitting on a folding stool.

Wonder where it ended up? Great story

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #144022 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: 1960's travels
The old Rover was getting pretty tired by the time I got home. John got a job with the geologist for 2 months because he had been accepted to Portsea Army Officer school and had the time to fill in. I was keen to buy my semi so hopped in the old machine and drove back from Derby, via Fitzroy Crossing, Wave Hill Station and Newcastle Waters by myself.

Photo taken on my return (Map of the final legs not completed) about a month before I bought the Commer.

Lang

[IMG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.394 seconds