Skip to main content

Black Mountain Roadhouse pics

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #148502 by mammoth
As part of the Climbing the New England event it looks like we will be doing an early Sat morning run up Devils Pinch to the iconic Black Mountain roadhouse. The new owner is fully behind it and will be laying on an urn and cakes. As part of this story I am trying to locate a series of photographs which I recall being posted on the forum a few years back. They featured interstaters of the early 60's and a roadhouse waitress appeared in many of the shots.
Any other historic images along the New England Highway are also welcome.
Thanks
ps did you know- the very first motel on the New England Highway was at at the Black Mountain roadhouse. (Unless anyone knows different) Still there and recently refurbished.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by mammoth.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148503 by olddon
Didn't that motel have something to do with the seven dwarfs

More
9 years 7 months ago #148504 by BK
I think the rooms were named after them, not sure, too long ago.

Trust me

More
9 years 7 months ago #148505 by BK
Can get cold there too. ;D

[IMG

Trust me

More
9 years 7 months ago #148506 by BK
Thanks Google earth, northbound.

[IMG

Trust me

More
9 years 7 months ago #148507 by mammoth
Had a tip off that the waitress in question is Rick Brownes wife, possibly now in the Cambelltown area. Jog any memories??

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #148508 by
Replied by on topic Re: Black Mountain Roadhouse pics
I don't remember seeing Black Mountain photos in this forum but I do recall seeing a bunch of them in an article of Classic Truck number 1 or 2 .
That was a Truckin Life spin-off around 15-20 years ago.
I have a copy about 700 kms away so can't copy them.
:P
However I will have my hands on it in about 3 weeks if no-one else has scanned the article...

More
9 years 7 months ago #148509 by mammoth
Just off the phone with Rick and Shirley Browne, lovely people. Shirley worked at the Black Mountain roadhouse from 1960 and then to Aratula where she met Rick. The motel was built around 1962 and named the seven dwarfs, with a room named after each. Apparently an American made a visit and put the bite on over copyright so the spelling of each dwarf was changed.
Rick drove for Aboods for quite a while during his 54 year driving career so has lots and lots of tales to tell.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #148510 by mammoth
On the ball 903 - wadyaknow, been sitting on this all along doh. :o been a while since I looked through those Classic Truck magazines. Actually in issue No 1., an article on both highway characters and the road house. As well as Shirley there are pictures of Janet who still lives in Guyra so I will be contacting her as well
.Thanks
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by mammoth.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148511 by BK
I seem to have a little voice telling me that the original motel rooms were on the north of the servo and later moved/rebuilt to make for more truck parking. ??????

Trust me

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds