Skip to main content

Can you help identify this Dodge truck?

More
9 years 7 months ago #148811 by Dave_64
Hi All,
Just spent a couple of hours trying to identify a mate's Dodge truck sitting in his paddock.

THINK it was produced between 1962-1972. Very hard to read numbers on the firewall I.D.plate, tried the Dodge truck site, and sort of half-sorted the number codes, here goes:-

AT4-460/817 Cab 25 770.
Has the following, but no guarantee that it is original. Dual 5" headlights, 7.50X17 FIVE stud rims, 10 bolt diff,(bolt in from front a la 9"Ford Diff (Mopars own??), 318 Dodge truck engine, Hydraulic clutch on drivers side, transmission brake on rear of gearbox (either 9 or 10").

Trying to POSITIVELY identify the transmission. Not too worried about engine (going to be used in another application), cab and tray not worth dicking around with so once engine/tranny removed, likely go for scrap, not worth salvaging.

The transmission is a New Process with the following casting numbers on the PASSENGER side, LOOKS like the letter "D" punched INTO the case, then the following in RAISED letters/numbers. "C-97247" then under that, again in raised letters, "STD".

Has the standard 6 bolt PTO plate on the DRIVERS side, again with the combo of "C-97247" and underneath that "2 NP"., again cast into the case. That are all the numbers I can find without removing the transmission.

I have a couple of FORD NP435's here, but the bellhousing to transmission mounting bolts are an entirely different pattern.(Besides the FORD NOT having a transmission brake).

I threw in all the other details to try and nail down exactly what transmission this Dodge has. I am surmising that given the AT4 year builds, it is the common 4 speed NP435 and NOT the NP445? If I can work out a bit more info on the truck itself, it may help to better identify the ratios in the transmission. Here's hoping a few of you Dodge guys can shed some light.

Thanks, Dave.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148812 by kenny-mopar
often with the Dodges one way to get close to the date is look at the engine casting numbers on the block ..also since its a 318 look at the cyl heads if it has hold down bolts going through the middle of the rocker covers then its a "poly 318" which lasted till about 1968 in trucks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.415 seconds