Skip to main content

Fuel/Air Issue?

More
9 years 6 months ago #149957 by Trentie
Fuel/Air Issue? was created by Trentie
Hey all,
I have a dilemma.

I've got a '42 Chev Blitz that's been fitted with an aspirated 2H diesel that I pulled out of a sixty series Landcruiser.
Last night on the highway it suddenly started making a loud intake noise that gets louder with load and throttle position, has no power, won't go any further than half revs under load and started pumping out black smoke.
It's as if a choke's been pulled on.
I yanked off the air cleaner and rocker cover breather and it made no difference.
Anyone ever had this happen to them with this engine and how did you fix it?
It was going great until then.
Many thanks,
Trentie.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149958 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?
have you checked/changed the Fuel filter?

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #149959 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?

Hey all,
I have a dilemma.

I've got a '42 Chev Blitz that's been fitted with an aspirated 2H diesel that I pulled out of a sixty series Landcruiser.
Last night on the highway it suddenly started making a loud intake noise that gets louder with load and throttle position, has no power, won't go any further than half revs under load and started pumping out black smoke.
I yanked off the air cleaner and rocker cover breather and it made no difference.
Many thanks,
Trentie.

sounds like a good set up, nice repower for the old girl. Might ask you about it later in fact.

But your problem sounds potentially nasty (IP related). Rule out fuel delivery problems first...

You know these engines have vacuum controlled fuel a like a carby? The throttle butterfly controls the vacuum and leather diaphragm converts it to mechanical by controlling the fuel rack. It's a while since I had one so this is all off the top of my head. There's a hard plastic vac line running from the top of the IP to the back - this is where the leather diaphragm is. If anything has a hole in/leaks is rooted it'll run like a hairy goat. Symptoms are varied - mine had a small hole and idled at 1500 but I think they can be more severe.

So check out this governing before getting too worried. Search for 2H IP diaphragm you should get a few hits. IH8mud forum is good on cruiser tech
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149960 by Trentie
Replied by Trentie on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?

Hey all,
I have a dilemma.

Many thanks,
Trentie.

sounds like a good set up, nice repower for the old girl. Might ask you about it later in fact.

But your problem sounds potentially nasty (IP related). Rule out fuel delivery problems first...

You know these engines have vacuum controlled fuel a like a carby? The throttle butterfly controls the vacuum and leather diaphragm converts it to mechanical by controlling the fuel rack. It's a while since I had one so this is all off the top of my head. There's a hard plastic vac line running from the top of the IP to the back - this is where the leather diaphragm is. If anything has a hole in/leaks is rooted it'll run like a hairy goat. Symptoms are varied - mine had a small hole and idled at 1500 but I think they can be more severe.

So check out this governing before getting too worried. Search for 2H IP diaphragm you should get a few hits. IH8mud forum is good on cruiser tech

Awesome! I shall check it out.
Is there any chance an intake take leak could throw out the vacuum setup and cause this?

And hayseed, all of the filters are new. I put them in on Friday.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149961 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?
No worries, Trentie... It's quite often the simple little things that cause issues..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #149962 by wedgetail84

Is there any chance an intake take leak could throw out the vacuum setup and cause this?

well if it's after the throttle plate, yes. That's why I mentioned the vac line, check it for leaks. But there isn't really anything else in the vac system, it's not like a petrol in that respect - very short and simple.

So you only just did the filters before this happened? That's suspicious... Did you clean the primary fuel filter? As in the gauze at the inlet to the IP? Common fault and could cause some of your symptoms for sure. Also fuel delivery - if that guaze checks out you could run it off a small plastic tank in the engine bay to diagnose.

It just seems a real coincidence to be playing up just after you changed filters. Have you tried bleeding again - any air? Maybe it's sucking air from somewhere. Tank pick up?

EDIT - here are a couple of links to read about the diaphragm
thewagonway.com/?p=3810 - 3B has the same method as 2H

forum.ih8mud.com/threads/i-p-diaphragm-swop-on-a-2h.225196/ good info
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149963 by Trentie
Replied by Trentie on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?

well if it's after the throttle plate, yes. That's why I mentioned the vac line, check it for leaks. But there isn't really anything else in the vac system, it's not like a petrol in that respect - very short and simple.

So you only just did the filters before this happened? That's suspicious... Did you clean the primary fuel filter? As in the gauze at the inlet to the IP? Common fault and could cause some of your symptoms for sure. Also fuel delivery - if that guaze checks out you could run it off a small plastic tank in the engine bay to diagnose.

It just seems a real coincidence to be playing up just after you changed filters. Have you tried bleeding again - any air? Maybe it's sucking air from somewhere. Tank pick up?

EDIT - here are a couple of links to read about the diaphragm
thewagonway.com/?p=3810 - 3B has the same method as 2H

forum.ih8mud.com/threads/i-p-diaphragm-swop-on-a-2h.225196/ good info

I shall definitely check this gauze you speak of.
And I also only just put this engine in.
She was running an H diesel out of a forty series until it lost oil pressure on the highway and lunched itself.
The vehicle the engine came out of had been sitting for a few years before I threw it in the blitz, and it was running sweet until this happened.

Any idea of what the intake whistle noise could be?

Also, all of this is incredibly helpful and very muh appreciated. ;D

More
9 years 6 months ago #149964 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?
The black smoke and loss of power is also a symptom of restricted air intake. Not the first time a rag was put in the intake to stop things falling in and mistakenly left there. Rag might have been somewhere and then got sucked in after a few k's?

More
9 years 6 months ago #149965 by wedgetail84

The vehicle the engine came out of had been sitting for a few years before I threw it in the blitz, and it was running sweet until this happened.

Not sure I follow - it was running sweet a few years ago or you gave it a test run and was running sweet? Or you used it in the blitz for a while before it played up?

Yeah a rag could do it! Wouldn't have done the valves much good... And could explain the whistle. But still not sure how likely that all is. Not sure on the whistle otherwise - must be air rushing through a small hole though. Is it a new noise?

More
9 years 6 months ago #149966 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?
Are you sure the noise is from the intake?
A blocked muffler will cause all you are describing, classic sign is a whistling as the exhaust gases try to get out
Cheers Steve

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds