Skip to main content

Fuel/Air Issue?

More
9 years 6 months ago #149967 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?
the injector pump housings on the 2h have a habit of wearing usually starts with a tappet like sound and a little extra black smoke

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #149968 by Trentie
Replied by Trentie on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?

The black smoke and loss of power is also a symptom of restricted air intake. Not the first time a rag was put in the intake to stop things falling in and mistakenly left there. Rag might have been somewhere and then got sucked in after a few k's?

It seems EXACTLY like something caught in the intake, but I can guarantee that I didn't leave a rag on or in the intake.
Besides, it shouldn't have gotten past the throttle butterfly anway. :D

Not sure I follow - it was running sweet a few years ago or you gave it a test run and was running sweet? Or you used it in the blitz for a while before it played up?

Yeah a rag could do it! Wouldn't have done the valves much good... And could explain the whistle. But still not sure how likely that all is. Not sure on the whistle otherwise - must be air rushing through a small hole though. Is it a new noise?

Wedgetail, I only just completely finished the conversion a few days ago, and it was running sweet for two days of running around town, happily toddled for an hour on the highway from Toowoomba to Crow's Nest, around crow's nest (helped a mate move house up there) then was happy for another half an hour (halfway back to Toowoomba), then an air intake/vacuumish noise, SHITELOADS of black smoke and no power/revs.

the injector pump housings on the 2h have a habit of wearing usually starts with a tappet like sound and a little extra black smoke

I'll definitely keep an ear out for that noise, thanks, Kenny.

Are you sure the noise is from the intake?
A blocked muffler will cause all you are describing, classic sign is a whistling as the exhaust gases try to get out
Cheers Steve

Steve, this is so simple and obvious, it just might work.
At least I hope it works.
I'm not entirely in the mood to be rebuilding an injector pump next weekend. :-?

More
9 years 6 months ago #149969 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?
Just an off chance has the timing slipped

More
9 years 6 months ago #149970 by Trentie
Replied by Trentie on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?
SUCCESS!!!!

Ten points and a lollipop for Steve!

Yanked the muffler off the old girl this morning and she's running sweet again.

I think the highway burst may have 'cleaned out' the engine after its been sitting for so long and blocked the muffler up.

Now off to the exhaust shop to grab a new muffler to restore backpressure and therefore torque, and we're off again!

So glad I didn't begin to hook into the injector pump.

Thanks for all of your input fellas!

It's been a life(wallet)saver.

;D

More
9 years 6 months ago #149971 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?
Glad it worked out without big money being involved.
Would not worry about backpressure, these engines go well with extractors and big bore exhaust.
Cheers Steve

More
9 years 6 months ago #149972 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Re: Fuel/Air Issue?
What a relief, always a good move to check the easy/cheap stuff first...

Glad it worked out without big money being involved.
Would not worry about backpressure, these engines go well with extractors and big bore exhaust.
Cheers Steve

Yeah mine went well with extractors, standard bore though

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds