Skip to main content

Leyland Hippo

More
9 years 4 months ago #152152 by DeeCee
Leyland Hippo was created by DeeCee
We have two of these old relics - one apears to be older than the other. I have tentatively dated them in the forties but I'm not sure. Can anyone help with a more accurate dating?
[IMG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152153 by DeeCee
Replied by DeeCee on topic Re: Leyland Hippo
Here's the other one:
[IMG

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #152154 by cemeNTepede
Replied by cemeNTepede on topic Re: Leyland Hippo
DeeCee, Find the chassis numbers.Should be on a brass plate screwed to the LH chassis rail under the front mudguard.On the plate should also be the engine type and
engine number and the diff ratio fitted ex factory.Nearby,usually directly above the front axle,will be the chassis number stamped into the rail.
Number will be six digits and because these trucks are most definately pre 1963
(when the numbering system changed),the first two digits will give you the year of manufacture.i.e. 481234= 1948 build.
The Hippo is Leyland type EH (Export Hippo) commonly called Super Hippo.
The other truck only appears to have only one drive axle which would make it type
EB (Export Beaver),or Super Beaver.
Are you doing anything with them ?
R/

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by cemeNTepede.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #152155 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Leyland Hippo
This is a Super Hippo,(bonnet ) Hippo (no bonnet) is around 1947 or 1948

The front truck NO7 I think is a Super Hippo (ISTBC) 1953, this is what it said in my reference book ( You Can't Make It Rain) A seventh truck ,a LEYLAND Beaver was added by 1953, I thought a Beaver was Single drive :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Mairjimmy.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152156 by DeeCee
Thank you. I will have a look for those numbers. We are not doing anything with them. We had another Hippo which we gave away - I believe it's gone south to Brisbane for restoration.
The one in the first picture is interesting because it has a McCormick tractor mounted on the back which powers a winch set up for hauling logs.
Old wrecks, but people still find them interesting to look at. 8-)

More
9 years 4 months ago #152157 by DeeCee
Colin,
Great pics. I know Marion Downs and Monkira Station in the Channel Country of Western Queensland. Tough life for a truck out there!

More
9 years 4 months ago #152158 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Leyland Hippo
Here is a Leyland Super Hippo thread previously on here

www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc...vm=bv.81828268,d.dGc

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
9 years 4 months ago #152159 by DeeCee
Thanks,
I read through that thread. Great stuff.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152160 by DeeCee
We had an old timer come through the display recently and he homed in on the Hippos. He said that they were great in the bush but very slow. When he had finished the rough stuff and was on the highway, he would pull over and reverse the diff (?) by swivelling it round and continue on at high speed. He indicated which bolts to undo and how the process could be achieved quickly by one man.

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds